Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,234   Online: 708

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon AF F 601 flash problem

Hi Gang,
    Although I shoot available light most of the time I though I would try out the fill flash option on my F 601. I have used it in the past and it worked. The problem I have now run into is in low light conditions, when the flash LED in the viewfinder blinks and I pop up the built in flash it won't charge (no LED in the viewfinder ) and the sutter won't release. If I put the flash back down the LED blinks again and the the shutter will release. I have reset all the settings to the basic mode with the TTL fill flash turned on, changed the battery, tried a different lens (although I don't think that should make a difference) but nothing seems to work. I did read that sometimes the condenser gives up the ghost but don't know how to check that. Anyone out there have any suggestions?
    Thanks, Kirk

Shooter
    35mm
    Does it pop on manual mode ?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MFstooges View Post
    Does it pop on manual mode ?
    Unfortunatly no, I shoot manual all the time and that is where I first discovered the problem. I thought perhaps I had accidently turned something off so I reset the camera to all it's default settings.
    Kirk

Shooter
    35mm
    My F-601 has excatly the same symptom as yours. Sounds like the condenser has given up. With my 601, the battery came to run out very quickly. It lasts for about three or four rolls after the condenser's gone.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by LunoLuno View Post
    My F-601 has excatly the same symptom as yours. Sounds like the condenser has given up. With my 601, the battery came to run out very quickly. It lasts for about three or four rolls after the condenser's gone.
    Hi LunoLuno,
    I will keep an eye on the battery life and see how that holds out. Have you tried to get yours fixed and if so what was the cost?
    Thanks Kirk

Shooter
    35mm
    Mine was dead after years of usage, I guess the built in flash in this type isn't built to last. I forgot how much to fix it but I didn't really care since I have a SB-23. You can do the same and buy a used speedlight, it's more powerful and probably cost less.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mine was dead after years of usage, I guess the built in flash in this type isn't built to last. I forgot how much to fix it but I didn't really care since I have a SB-23. You can do the same and buy a used speedlight, it's more powerful and probably cost less.
    Hi MFstooges,
    You are right; buying a Speedlight is a possibility. In fact the reason I was once again using the flash was because I was thinking of using it as the trigger for an off camera Speedlight. I wanted to avoid using a cord as well as the cost of radio triggers. I have sent an email describing the problem I am having to a camera repair shop in a city close to me (the closest that I know of) and hope to get a reply about the likelihood of it being a condenser problem as well as a quote to fix it. I guess I should also start looking for a Speedlight as well. For the most part I shoot portraits in available light, from your experience would the SB-23 be a good choice for this use or would you suggest something else?
    Thanks, Kirk

Shooter
    35mm
    I used it as on camera flash, it works well with the matrix metering and the fill in feature. It also fit my budget and has 2 seconds recycling time. But you can't alter the manual output as far as I remember, so if you can find its big brother, SB24, in decent price that would be better.

Shooter
    35mm
    I used it as on camera flash, it works well with the matrix metering and the fill in feature. It also fit my budget and has 2 seconds recycling time. But you can't alter the manual output as far as I remember, so if you can find its big brother, SB24, in decent price that would be better.
    I have started to check the used offerings in my area for speedlights but I think I will wait until I hear back from the repair shop before making a decision. Thanks for the info.
    Kirk

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Coleman View Post
    Hi LunoLuno,
    I will keep an eye on the battery life and see how that holds out. Have you tried to get yours fixed and if so what was the cost?
    Thanks Kirk
    I didn't fix mine as I knew it would cost around 15,000yen ($175). That was the repair charge in 2006 when Nikon officially ended the repair service of their F-601. If the F601 had been a very special camera for me, I would have fixed it, but it was not the one; The avarage price for a F-601 in the second hand market had already become around 1,000-2,000yen ($12.50-$25.00) then, so it was much cheeper to get another sample.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin