Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,519   Online: 1024

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

When selling cameras, never leave them out in the open.

Was wandering through one of our local "antique" malls, I stumbled across a nice clean little Nikkormat, with a clean 50mm f2 lens. Only problem was the mirror was stuck in the up position, and it looked like,the self timer had been cocked, and was stuck as well. When I talked to the dealer, they said the camera had been there less than a week, and worked fine when it was brought in. Evidently to was handled by too many hands, some of which didn't know what to do, and some were probably playful curious kids. In the meantime, the same dealer had a stash of 2 dollar light bulbs locked up in the display case. Go figure....

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.790811,-90.481159

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was once running a 20-screen movie theater outside of Atlanta, GA. I had to go there because corporate management decided to "clean house" at the local level. I was running the entire complex myself plus my usual technical maintenance duties. On top of that, I was doing triple duty as a floor usher when it was needed.

So, at the end of the night, I would press the button on the elevator to get up to the booth level, walk down the hall and go into the management office in order to get the key for the garbage compactor. When you take out the trash at the end of the night, you have to sign out the key to the compactor.

You walk into the management suite, make a left and go down the corridor. On the left is the assistant manager's office where the key box is kept. On the right is the accounting manager's office where the nightly receipts are reconciled at the end of every day. It was a busy Friday evening and on this particular occasion, there was a stack of money on the table that EASILY topped $50,000.

Corporate had just cleaned house because the previous manager was cooking the books. There was nobody in the accounting office at the time.

I was getting into my car at the end of the night, just shaking my head... They leave $50,000 laying out on the table where anybody can get it but they lock up the garbage???

Yes, it was a long story but the moral is the same as yours. People just don't seem to have common sense anymore.

Go figure...
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not only that, which is a great reason for covering your goods, but at our Trade Days (at Tannehill Park) some folks frequently display cameras and other electronics on open tables... exposed to the weather.
    The first time we went, I saw an interesting old SLR (forget what exactly it was, but it was chrome and black) sitting on a table, so I wanted to check it out. Nearly burned my fingers picking it up. The guy wanted $50 for it, untested. If it had been a particularly valuable camera I'd probably have remembered what the heck it was. Besides, I had no idea how often/long it had been out there roasting in the Alabama summer sun.

Shooter
    35mm
    In the case of Nikon blame the marketing dept and war correspondents. If a Nikon stops a bullet and can be used to hammer in nails in its "off-duty" moments then a few thousand people handling one and a little Alabama sunshine must be easy to take

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ambaker View Post
    Only problem was the mirror was stuck in the up position, and it looked like,the self timer had been cocked, and was stuck as well. When I talked to the dealer, they said the camera had been there less than a week, and worked fine when it was brought in. Evidently to was handled by too many hands, some of which didn't know what to do, and some were probably playful curious kids.
    It only takes one (1) un-knowledgable hand sometimes. It even happens on forums like this... by people who claim they are knowlegable.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Errr, I've locked up a camera before. But it wasn't at a store, but instead from an online order. Whooooops
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    I was getting into my car at the end of the night, just shaking my head... They leave $50,000 laying out on the table where anybody can get it but they lock up the garbage???
    Those decisions presumably were not made by the same people. Some person put that stack of money on the table and then walked away, deciding it was safe. Seems unlikely that was a corporate decision. In fact, I'd have to make a guess that someone's job would be in danger if corporate types found out. Usually businesses that handle large quantities of cash are more security-conscious. And since you say you were running the complex, wouldn't it have been your job to make sure the door was locked?

And how big was the compactor? Was it somewhere that say, an unauthorized person or an animal could get to? Get inside? I'd guess it was bigger than a household unit. Limiting access to it was probably not so irrational.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree, a lawsuit stemming from what a compactor can do to someone (though it may be their own stupidity) makes $50k look like small change.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    At work, the key to the stationery cupboard is kept locked in a box in a drawer. The key to the box which the key is locked in is kept in someone else'e drawer!

Those pens and paperclips must be very valuable.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    At work, the key to the stationery cupboard is kept locked in a box in a drawer. The key to the box which the key is locked in is kept in someone else'e drawer!

Those pens and paperclips must be very valuable.

Steve
    We had to sign out all office supplies - it was all barcoded.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin