Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,236   Online: 880

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Using Modern Flash on Kodak Stereo Camera (bayonet connector)

What's the best way to use a modern flash (i.e. with a hot shoe connector) on my Kodak Stereo camera with its silly bayonet connector?

I've got a flash bracket, but is there one single coupler that will do the job?

The other option I guess is to get a flash with a PC connection and go from there. But, straight to hot-shoe would be preferable... impossible though?

It's usually the case that there's some phrase or term I'm not privy to, and with it I can find what I need.

Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bigger problem is that camera probably has an M sync only.
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While their solutions cost money, the product is fantastic.
    I know you are on a student budget. Look at Paramount cords web site anyway.

They make almost any sort of cord you can think of.
    I ordered two odd ball customs (bipost female to pc female, 6" straight, and sunpak male to hot shoe male, 6' coiled).
    They arrived two weeks ago. The workmanship is superb, and they are excatly what I wanted for the applications I needed them for.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everybody, great advice.

This is probably the kind of thread where someone could've easily said "Here, let me Google that for you", and I appreciate you guys not doing that...

BobD seems to have hit the bullseye, though, what Bob-D659 says (hey, which one of you guys is Bob Dylan?) has me wondering. No problem I guess? That does seem odd doesn't it, considering that the camera was definitely originally intended for use with flash-bulbs?

Thanks Mike, I'll look at Paramount as well. There's nothing like buying the right thing one time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    M type bulbs have the shutter contacts fire 20ms before the shutter is wide open, too early on some speeds for the shutter to even be open when the flash discharges. On some old cameras you can tweak the contacts to become X-sync ones, on others, you need a smart delay circuit.

D659 is the model number of my 6x9 Durst enlarger. I do remember Dylan's songs on the radio when they were first released, that even predates some of my darkroom hardware.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some of your darkroom hardware? Well you certainly have been at it for some time then.

I'll have to see what others do about the shutter on Kodak Stereos. Afterall, some people are using that PC adapter, so maybe it's ok(??)

Shooter
    35mm
    The camera's owners manual says it is can be used with both bulb or electronic flash.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    Try looking for a old honeywell flash cord with the asa bayonet end. You could screw on different ends to adapt for your needs. Also look at the Kodak flashguns that were sold at this time. I am sure that a few of these had the end you are looking for and you could hack the other end to fit. Good luck, Steven.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin