Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,019   Online: 824
      
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Klainmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,493
    Images
    30

    Help! Nikon FE Winder unscrewed!

    So first of all--you gotta be kidding me. I tried to unwind the film and the winder arm instead unscrewed from the cartridge holder spool, moments after I mentioned to my boss that "I'm usually a Canon guy, but this Nikon is really quite nice". BOOM pieces.

    How the hell do I get the back open to recover the winder pin? It seems like I could easily re-assemble it, just don't know of an effective way to force my way into the back.

    See attached image:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-01-05_10-16-38_59.jpg  
    K.S. Klain

  2. #2
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,798
    Get a heavy paper clip and bend a 1/8--1/4 hook on one end. Insert in the hole at least an inch and gently pull up. May take a few tries but usually works.

  3. #3
    bobwysiwyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI U.S.A.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,545
    Images
    3
    Thankfully, I haven't encountered this on mine, but found this exploded parts diagram that might help you. Good luck, let us know how it progresses.

    http://cameraobscura.zenfolio.com/fe-explode.pdf
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

    Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

  4. #4
    Klainmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,493
    Images
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Get a heavy paper clip and bend a 1/8--1/4 hook on one end. Insert in the hole at least an inch and gently pull up. May take a few tries but usually works.
    Awesome info, but do you know which direction it needs to be facing? Also, does the winder release latch need to be suppressed at the same time (i figure it only hold that pin and doesn't really do much else)

    Huge thanks in advance
    K.S. Klain

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Outside Boston, MA
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    176
    Ahhh! The old "Tab 708 lifted by shoulder of 652"!

    WYSIWYG, indeed.

    :-)

    Looks like the hook wants to be pointed somewhere from 9:00 to 12:00 as you look down into the hole with the camera held as if you were taking a picture

  6. #6
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Awesome info, but do you know which direction it needs to be facing? Also, does the winder release latch need to be suppressed at the same time (i figure it only hold that pin and doesn't really do much else)

    Huge thanks in advance
    Believe it's circular since the shaft of the rewind fork is too. Just checked one of my FEs and you should be able to lift up gently to release. It's worked for me.Go ahead and turn the little safety catch for luck. When it's open, make sure the fork shaft is securely tightened into the rewind knob.

    FYI It's a small world, so maybe this kind of snark from you to me recently wasn't so smart.

    "Why again are you a member of this here forum? The only thing irksome in the discussion were your replies."

  7. #7
    Klainmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,493
    Images
    30
    Damn it, I'm getting frustrated. Need a beer for this methinks.
    K.S. Klain

  8. #8
    Klainmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,493
    Images
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Believe it's circular since the shaft of the rewind fork is too. Just checked one of my FEs and you should be able to lift up gently to release. It's worked for me.Go ahead and turn the little safety catch for luck. When it's open, make sure the fork shaft is securely tightened into the rewind knob.

    FYI It's a small world, so maybe this kind of snark from you to me recently wasn't so smart.

    "Why again are you a member of this here forum? The only thing irksome in the discussion were your replies."
    I thought that was quite humorous as well, and by humorous, I mean quite humbling. As I am sure you know, you tend to reply to a lot of film threads with a tenure of we're all too optimistic and blind to the realities of the modern state of film. It was rubbing me wrong after some time. But hey, I know you're shooting film, and we're shooting film, so I guess we should just embrace that reality while it still lasts.

    Thanks for the huge amount of help CGW, I owe you some respect and kind words.

    Cheers
    K.S. Klain

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Outside Boston, MA
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    176
    And a dab of Loctite 242 (Removeable) on the shaft threads, so it won't happen again?

  10. #10
    Klainmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,493
    Images
    30
    If I can get the back door to open first. Still havent been able to get it.

    I feel like one of those monkeys trying to fish out ants--poking in, moving it about, puling it up, nothing there!
    K.S. Klain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin