Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,527   Posts: 1,543,950   Online: 1076

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Refurbishing my Minolta XG-M

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, and I was hoping I could get some help refurbishing a Minolta XG-M camera given to me. First of all, is this a good quality camera to start with? I don't mind buying a better model from ebay if there are significantly better ones. I have 3 lenses for this camera, so I get something else it would need to be compatible with them. Auto focus is not essential for me.

I've never used a film SLR before, and I just want to make sure it's going to work well once I start shooting with it. I can't test it right now because I have to buy batteries for it. Also the foam seals around the door are old and falling apart, so I think I need to change that. Are there any other common repairs needed to get an old camera in working order?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to the Wonderful World of Film.
    I don't know the minoltas but in general you have the right idea for replacing light seals on the back.
    If the back seals have deteriorated it would be prudent to also check the mirror bumper foam.
    This can sometimes get sticky with age and can cause problems with mirror return directly after exposure.

Foam replacement is a somewhat tedious job but it's not difficult. Use some naphtha and a WOODEN tool like a chopstick to remove the old foam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG!

It's a good camera, and the price is certainly right.

It uses currently available batteries - get two new ones and if it functions well with them, re-foaming kits are easy to find.

In case you don't have one, here is a link to a manual. If you are going to make use of the manual and camera, the suggested donation is a good idea.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/minolta...nolta_xg-m.htm

Have fun!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I've attached a picture of what I think is the mirror bumper foam. It's not sticky or brittle; it feels like it's in good shape. However, I'm not convinced of that because it's not level. If you look at foam in the left side of the picture, you'll see that a portion of it is elevated. Is this a problem?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails minolta mirror.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Probably not.But I would consider redoing the foam on it just because.The XG-M is the top of the line XG series.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're going to love the XG-M, I'm sure of it. I have an XG-A, and though it doesn't have as many features, it amazed me when I started working with it, and it spurred me on to "upgrade" later to an X-570. Instead of pressing the shutter halfway down to meter like most cameras, with this series all you have to do is put your finger on the button. That's all! Also, Minolta lenses are crazy sharp and very high quality. Nikon, Canon and the other big names couldn't do any better.

What you have is a gem and it should take almost nothing to get it back up to working order. If you're in the U.S., check your local drug store for batteries, or look for a Batteries Plus ( http://www.batteriesplus.com/ ) store or online. They stock most camera batteries. Good luck, and enjoy!

Shooter
    35mm
    I removed all of the old light seals and replaced the ones on the door. However, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use the same foam for the groves that run along the long side of the camera on the back of the body. I don't think I can just a strip that narrow very accurately with a pair of scissors.

Am I supposed to use something precut in the right width for the groves? The foam I bought is a 1/32 x 1 x 10" self adhesive foam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it is like the FX-3, I just freehand cut the foam into little strips : http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1220176

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfox View Post
    I removed all of the old light seals and replaced the ones on the door. However, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use the same foam for the groves that run along the long side of the camera on the back of the body. I don't think I can just a strip that narrow very accurately with a pair of scissors.

Am I supposed to use something precut in the right width for the groves? The foam I bought is a 1/32 x 1 x 10" self adhesive foam.
    precut foam kits with everything you need are all over ebay for about 10 bux

Shooter
    35mm
    Plenty of extras have been built for this model as well as those for the x series of Minoltas. Check the auction and classifieds regularly.
    Good luck with the refoaming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin