Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,388   Online: 1050

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon F5 - broken AF selector?

So I was trying out an F5 in a shop and was attempting to move the AF point bc it was not centered. So I switched on the AF selector but noticed that when I toggled the AF controller in the back, the AF points only went up and down but not to any of the side AF points.

Is this normal for an F5? Is there some way to lock the AF points to only vertical?

Shooter
    35mm
    Try the two button reset. Hold down the BKT abd CSM (blue color buttons) for 5 or so seconds. It will reset the whole camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for that. I'm going to try that out later tomorrow when I go check it out again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If that doesn't work, then it probably needs either the contacts cleaned on the back (and the body), or a replacement back. That said, how much is this F5 going for, and what's the cosmetic condition? If it's scratched up, and above $300, it might be worth driving the 150 miles or so to Seattle and buying one of the two F5's at Glazer's Camera. I tried them both out before I bought mine on Friday, and the AF selection pad worked fine on both cameras. They are open today (Sunday) until 5 pm.

-J
    APUG: F5, F4s, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 35/2 O, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.8 AF, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    It was a while ago since I checked it. Gave up on it at first as I was dismayed by the AF selector only working vertically... But after trying manual focus cameras (rf and SLR) ive come to realize that unless its a large Pentax 645 viewfinder, my eyes are too bad for manual focusing. Need the electronic rangefinder!

That being said, it's $299 (but from a shop so taxes apply) and condition was actually pretty good except the AF selector. Hoping maybe it's a setting thing or something. Since I shoot manual focus I don't really need the other points I guess?

I have two f90x that do a great job but am hoping to get very quiet operation with the option of Manual rewind and Cs silent mode while shooting would be great for churches!

Thx for the headsup on the ones in Seattle though will consider!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I checked the listing of custom functions, and, at least, with the ones that can be set via the camera, there isn't a way to change the behavior of the pad. It's possible that there is a way, using a PC or older Mac with the special cables (MC-33 and MC-34), to reset everything, but hardly anyone has the Photo Secretary software, nor the cables.

As long as you can get the center focus point lit up, you might be ok, if you're only using MF lenses. At that point, I would try to score an A screen or either the L or J screen. The A and L screens have split-image rangefinder circles, and the J screen has the microprism spot in the middle. Of the three, the J screen seems most common on evilBay.

The Cs mode isn't really silent. It makes an F5 sound like an F3 with a MD-4 that's running on weak batteries. You definitely hear the shutter and the mirror box in action. In my experience, even the Single Shot mode is reasonably quiet. Just test fired mine, and it's no louder than an F2 or an F3.

With respect to the prices, if you can, try to barter with them on it. If you can get it for close to what they paid for the camera, it may be a good deal. If they're fairly firm, I'd walk away and plan to head to Seattle. One of the bodies is pretty decent, some minor paint wear, etc, but no peeling of the rubber surfaces. The other one is pretty worn. They both were former rental cameras. The fairly decent body has a serial number in the 306xxxx range, and the worn one is the 2263rd F5 built by Nikon (first one was 3000001). Very early. My current one is in the 3056xxx range, serial-wise.

The F5 didn't go through many changes over its production, unlike the F4, where it'd be best to get a higher serial number body for all the improvements (249xxxx or higher). Supposedly early bodies tended to eat batteries for lunch, but I had the 4005th body made, and it still was running @ full power 2-3 months after I'd installed a set of eight Energizer lithiums.

Anyway, wish you luck with things. If you do decide to come down, send me a PM and I'll see about getting a few other APUGgers together for a gathering.

-J
    APUG: F5, F4s, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 35/2 O, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.8 AF, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the Nikon Secretary and cable but with them there is no option to limit the movement of the cursor either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
    Thanks for that. I'm going to try that out later tomorrow when I go check it out again.
    It is highly possible that focusing screen is malfunctioning !

Here is my case - upon receiving one F5 I dismantled focussing screen.
    After reassembling it some focusing points on screen were not visible,
    but that on viewfinder sides were ok.
    Replacing it with another everything was ok.
    On KEH replacement screen is under 20$.

But from your original post it is not clear which AF points are problematic - that on viewfinder sides or on the screen?

Shooter
    35mm
    so I didn't get a chance to try out the F5 because someone else put a reserve on it... dang. Oh well, it gave me some opportunity to look at other things.

The problem with the F5 (when I saw it) was that when I pressed the arrow buttons to move the AF point, it only moved up, down and center. No left or right movement. All the points seemed to be there. I was looking at the top LCD for these AF points. Only those points mentioned where accessible.

Funny enough, with the F5 being no longer available, I tried out two F100s. One was dead (even with battery grip). Must've been a bad contact or something. The other functioned just fine EXCEPT for the AF cursor buttons. And yes, I unlocked the AF toggle arrow buttons so I could move it around! The AF would go to up, left and center but would NOT go to right and bottom... And I pressed pretty firm. Anyways, that's a pass.

All this trouble makes me think it's best to stick with my F90x's with it's single point AF. From what I can tell, the AF button toggle in these cameras seem to be a weak point (atleast the ones I've tried!).

I made the mistake of trying a Leica R5 though...beautiful viewfinder and having diopter adjustment = HUGE. Anyways, that's for another post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was shooting Canon one time in the studio and I was perspiring heavily because of the subject matter (cough cough) and sweat got in the joystick thingy and rendered it inoperable.

The F5 should be sealed better than the consumer grade canon I was using at the time but I cleaned the contacts with just some blasts from an air can and I was back in business.

I was going to suggest some custom setting fix but it doesn't sound to apply in this case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin