Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,079   Online: 926

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

advice needed on viewfinder diopter lens

Much of the time I shoot with a Nikon F2A and FM2n, and I have recently had trouble with the viewfinder focus. Although I am really nearsighted, I suspect this problem is because of increasing middle-aged close vision problems, and I wear bifocals to correct the problem. To improve my ability to focus with these cameras should I get -1 or +1 diopter viewfinder correction lenses? The problem is not severe, just enough to add some uncertaintly in focusing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the same problem. I use a +1 lens: this puts the focusing screen at infinity, or 0 diopters, where my far vision is well corrected. Nikon viewfinders are normally set to a 1 meter focus, or -1 diopters, with the standard viewfinder lens.

In a hopeless effort to simplify things, Nikon confuses the issue by labeling the +1 lens as '0'.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...M2_FE2_FA.html

Don't forget that with your glasses on you are no longer nearsighted but are now farsighted. I had to argue with the camera clerk on this one - she insisted I needed a negative diopter lens because I was nearsighted.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 01-07-2012 at 11:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nicholas, thank you, that is exactly the information that I needed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've also experience the problem of Nikon classifying the +1 as an 0. A word of warning about these diopter lenses....in my experience they have a nasty habit of unscrewing themselves and dropping off from the viewfinder while you're carrying your camera around...possibly as a result of vibration build up through carrying them in a car.......Witness the number of s/h Nikon FM2's on sale without the neutral screw in lens!....Be warned!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    Witness the number of s/h Nikon FM2's on sale without the neutral screw in lens!
    I've lost them when having to remove them to mount a right-angle viewer. There is a large collection of small camera bits in the back lawn of the house.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By some miracle, the neutral lens is still present on my Nikkormat FtN.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Their numbering is VERY confusing. Knowing that I wear +2 glasses to read and also knowing that the viewfinders are set to -1, I bought a +3, thinking that would get me to a +2. But the +3 is unusable! It is WAY too strong.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found out some time ago that Voigtlander Bessa rangefinder correction diopters can be used with manual Nikon bodies. They can be found from -3 to +3.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I used to put a drop of clear nail polish on the threads before I screwed the one on I wanted. It stayed put without being permanent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yesterday I received a +1 diopter from KEH that I thought would fit only my FM2N, and to my surprise, it fits both the FM2N and the F2A. And it works perfectly: I can focus with confidence with my 35mm SLRs once again. Thanks to all who provided advice: I will be careful to avoid losing the diopter (especially since I discovered that these little lenses are not that common on the used market, and the new ones cost $27).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin