Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,862   Online: 967

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is very nice, may be I will pick on nice spot-meter. Unfortunately, new ones are pretty expensive.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Agfa Isolette III: Amazingly simple, yet it produces outstanding negatives.
    Holga 120GFN: EV 11 or EV 12.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Why ruin the OLy and kill the value. Yes, I know it and the lenses are great but seems a shame. I'd suggest if you want a clear viewfinder look for an slr sans meter. An Asahi S1a or such is a very reliable tank that can had for nil and the m42 lens catalog is extensive and most of the lenses are fantastic values on a cost vs performance scale as well as just be excellent lenses. An Exacta with the removable viewfinder allowing either waist level or eye level finders likewise are excellent with some great glass available for the line. These can be had in excellent condition with a standard lens probably for less than paying someone to strip the meter from the OM-1. If your OM-1 had a non-functional meter my advice might be different.

For a little more you could even go into medium format with something like a Bronica ETR series camera and if you want to stay with 35mm get either or both the 35N normal back or the 35W panaramic back. These had non-metered prisms, rotary prism and waist level finder as well as 2 metered versions. It also, of course, is a 1st rate mf camera so, the best of both film sizes.

For metering landscapes depending on type either a spot or averaging meter works; just need to make sure you do not pick up too much sky with an averaging meter. I found the Weston Ranger with a metering of abount 12 degrees that is between the spot and averaging is excellent as it has an aiming lens similar to a spot. Also, the Metrastar has a similar angle of metering and uses an aiming lens. The Ranger is larger, and uses 2 batteries and does not feel like you could drive nails with it compared to the Metrastar but, the Zone System dial available for it is a great acc'y if you are planning to use it. I use both and like them equally. Neither costs an arm and a leg on the used market and as good as far more expensive meters. The company that made the Metrastar also made the Leica meters if you are not familiar with the company and I'm sure Weston needs no introduction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will keep my OM-1n as it is, apart from CLA. I thought it might bring leica like feeling without meter...hmm...seems, I'm wrong.

Asahi Pentax Spotmeter V looks very interesting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    The spot metering of the OM-4T is accurate like my Sekonic 758DR and you won't need to remove the needle as Oly already did it for you . . .

Also, I don't have one but I believe the OM-3 has the same metering setup as the OM-4.
    Yes, the 3 and 4 have the same spotmetering systems. The 3 makes a very good spotmeter with a 200mm lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm...OM-3 alone costing more than new spot-mete ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    Hmm...OM-3 alone costing more than new spot-mete ;-)
    My OM-3 was "free". If you leave the battery out, you get an uncluttered viewfinder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Haaa...free OM-3 sounds like more than a freedom. I do not know where to hunt for such a luck...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you using silver-oxide cells with your OM-2S? They tend to last a lot longer in my OM-2S than the alkaline versions.

I have had good results with batteries from here: http://www.sr44.com/batteries.php
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Matt,

That camera came with 2-pairs of LR44, the first pair did not last long. Still using the second pair...

Now, I have ordered 4 pairs of Varta V357.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear baachitraka,

Choosing which tone to put in a given zone is something that you will determine with time. There are many good references if you feel you need some (and they look great on your darkroom bookshelf. ;>) ). You will eventually find a method that gives you the exposures you need. Going through the effort is often a good deal of fun.

Good shooting,

Neal Wydra

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin