Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,464   Posts: 1,570,662   Online: 789

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    The smart thing would be to just ignore the needle and not use it. If you go to the trouble of taking the meter out and removing the mask, well you might change something important like finder focus. Then you'll have loose meter strings all flopping around in there, getting tangled in shutter gears. John

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Convenient in-camera metering has "ruined" many of my shots.

Why? I didn't meter intelligently because I didn't have to.

So I get the idea of disabling the in-camera meter. Forces you to use another tool.

What other tool? Up to you. Thinking is one option.

As John implies, leaving out the battery is one very effective way to make the problem go away.

I did that with my OM-1 last summer. Without a battery the needle does not move. It was a non-issue - I had to use the meter that I was carrying on my belt.

Then, a couple weeks ago, the mood struck me to travel light for a day. I put a battery in and had a fully-functioning OM-1.

I faced some lighting challenges though, and wished for the meter I usually bring. But somehow I survived.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nothing to worry, my wife is wiling to use that camera for flash(bounce) photography after I explained like, set the shutter to 1/60, f/(4.0 - 8.0), focus and shoot. She was very happy after few test shots. ;-)
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you really want to have just clear frame with no distractions whatsoever: get yourself original nikon F with meter-less prism .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sadly, I learned much about film cameras after I had a partial system of Olmypus cameras and lenses.

It makes me sad after removing metering needle/bracket. :-( I will never think about any mods in the future except change in the battery circuit to accept 1.55v batteries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm sorry, I'm just reading this whole thread in disbelief. I can't believe the presence of a needle in the viewfinder would destroy one's ability to compose a shot.

If you are doing landscape photography, you should be looking with your eyes, outside the viewfinder. Visualize your image. Look and think and imagine. Meter, etc., as you see it, think about your exposure (use zone system, etc., as you wish).

Then look through the viewfinder and do your final composition. At that point, you're just setting your vision in the rectangle and focusing. If the needle is hampering you at that point, perhaps you suffer from ADD or something, and should see a doctor for medication. You should already have your image in your mind.

On the other hand, if you are street shooting, moving fast, no time to do a full scene evaluation, then the in-finder meter may be a useful aid or not, depending on how you read scenes - maybe you're a Sunny 16 guy through and through, don't need any help. If the latter, do as Bill Burk said - just yank the batteries. Problem solved.

(But it sounds like this note is too late...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah...I am sad. Even though that metering values gave not so good exposure, I shouldn't have hurt it. :-(

Shooter
    Medium Format
    my son has a classmate who just bought an OM-1 and brought it over to show me and get some help as it is his forst film camera. I looked through the viewfinder and did not find the metering to be all that intrusiive but, I am maybe more used to look through the viewfinder information that can be distracting. I then had my son bring up the Ashahi S1a that does not have a meter and compared them. My conclusion is if looking for a veiwfinder with no distractions, the S1a is the way to go and maintain the OM-1s values. The pre-metering bodies have huge amazing viewfinders that impede nothing in viewing the subject matter and are bright. Complete systems using the body can be had for almost nothing and the M42 lenses from the company and others are plentiful and many including the stock 50mm 2.0 is considered to be one of the best standard lenses. Additionally, the camera required no battery and it seems from owners the shutters are all bout bulletproof even after all these years.

The kid who bought the OM-1 loves it and had researched for some time before buying it and spoken to David, my son, who knew I really like Olympus cameras and lenses. He was awed though when he looked through the viewfinder of the S1a so, we started discussing something like the Spotmatic as an alternative as he has a 30 day money back warrantee and he does want a camera with a built in meter. I did explaing the Spotmatic viewfinder is not as bright or large but still very good. We also discussed the stopdown metering that means a darkened finder and I showed him on the S1a but, it seemed not to bother him.

should be interesting but, maybe an alternative for you also.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will never go for mod again. Even though it is not so expensive but I feel like that I have hurt someone who is very dear to me.

Shooter
    127 Format
    The OM1 meter needle is almost invisible unless you go looking for it. I can't imagine it to be distracting.

- Bill Lynch

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin