Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,518   Online: 1022

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Art has no absolutes, and everybody is free to think what they want. While I have met many wonderfully mature 16 or so years old people, it's easy to take such a stance at that age. I think it's appropriate to cut them some slack and let them shape their opinion and appreciation over the coming years of their lives, same as you and I were hopefully allowed to do. I think back at some things I said when I was even 20 or 25 years old, and cringe at what came out of my mouth.
    This was exactly my point, though you've said it in a MUCH more sophisticated manner as opposed to my childish sarcasm and cynicism.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    With the addition of 'I think'.... (that b&w is more artistic) it stops being absurd
    I think O.J Simpson was innocent. I think that B&W is more artistic. I dunno... still sounds pretty absurd to me.
    Sometimes I post my photos on flickr.
    Sometimes I update my tumblr.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think what you think needs to be said more rather than merely thought privately!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I feel b&w is much more pleasing to my eye.

I feel color takes away from the emotion of the image. Color is very forcing on what the image is saying. B&w other hand let the viewer create there own emotion.

Color is dull
    B&w is alive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    B&w other hand let the viewer create there own emotion.
    Please say more. Can you give any examples?

I am also interested in what it is that you find 'forcing' about colour.

N.b. I'm not trying to argue anything, I am truly interested in why people have these quite different feelings. Feel free to answer in the blog thread if you prefer. Or forget the whole thing if you prefer
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Personally, having not been satisfied with my own B&W work, I've shot mostly color. However, I've been hoping to hone my technique a bit and see if I can improve my B&W pictures. I may get out the instant camera and shoot some B&W on it with a filter or two in front of the lens to hone my technique a bit before I take the pictures of her birthday party with the real camera.

You're right about 16-year-olds having their own view of the world, and the with the few photos I took yesterday in color and B&W, I find myself liking the B&W ones. I would post them here but the aquisition method isn't analog, so I will just give a link to my flickr photostream ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/74582697@N06/

You are right of course about teenagers having their own opinions about what is art and what is not. But it's art - everyone has their own opinion about what is or is not art, and who is to say that her opinion is any more (or less) valid than ours?

ME Super

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin