Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,450   Online: 1156

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Personally, I'm contemplating selling off my Canon FD gear to fund a RZ67 system. I have a 35mm rangefinder that does everything I want and I find myself rarely using my F-1n anyway, except for ultrawide shots. Since I can have all the focal lenghts on a RZ67, I'm leaning towards selling the 35mm interchangeable system.

Will I regret it?
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    35mm
    Back when I was working in a commercial studio, the guy who owned the place would haul out his Blad and Tri-X for catalogue jobs. I would use my OM1 and Plus-X for the same stuff, and we couldn't tell the difference. What film you use matters. A lot.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waltereegho View Post
    Personally, I'm contemplating selling off my Canon FD gear to fund a RZ67 system. I have a 35mm rangefinder that does everything I want and I find myself rarely using my F-1n anyway, except for ultrawide shots. Since I can have all the focal lenghts on a RZ67, I'm leaning towards selling the 35mm interchangeable system.

Will I regret it?
    I just got a beater RB67 and 90mm lens, and I think I may be falling in love :-). I'll hang on to my Mamiya M645b stuff for hand held, and perhaps sell my Pentax 6x7 kit to help fund a couple more RB67 lenses.

That being said, I should spend some more time with my 35mm gear, and see if I can tame the grain.
    Nikon 35mm, Mamiya 645 & RB67, Leica IIIb, other bits and pieces

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waltereegho View Post

Will I regret it?
    I think it depends. Don't get me wrong, I still love MF, but the world has enough ultra high definition, large printed, BW images. I realized that many of my slides and bw shots with the Mamiya just as well might have come from a really high-end DSLR at the sizes I print them at. When I print 35mm, I get grain, smooth bokeh, beautiful transitions(not as smooth, but with a certain character)--and I love the look. It's imperfect, just like I want it. Look at the images posted in my gallery. Many of those I could blow up to 30x40" without grain or fault....yawn! Give me grain or give me death!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Good for you! 35mm is the hummingbird of formats, the do-anything, be-anywhere, versatile get-it-done format. Enjoy it. I hop between formats constantly, it help keep things fresh.

Wet plate stuff can be done on the cheap, no need to forsake one to do the other.

What about shooting slides in 35mm and enlarging to wetplate...
    I have considered doing this, and actually, I think I might start here. I have a 4x5 being sent to me for free (buddy was shooting LF and now is back to 35mm as well) so I will be doing some 4x5 plates. I know it's still all analog, but printing from a slide seems almost like cheating to me.

...then again, things I photograph, there is no way without a mule or a team of paid friends that I could get an 8x10 wet plate from.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There is absolutely no cheating involved. You are taking what you can from the scene and making a print according to your own artistic vision! Have fun. And n.b. 35mm slides enlarge spectacularly well... they were designed to
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Most of mine are 6x7 Velvia taken with the Mamiya. To say they are beautiful is an understatement.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As often as I've threatened to rid myself of all 35mm gear, I just can't do it. The gear is too convenient and portable as hell, and the film of choice enables me to make the enlargment sizes I prefer with no problems. I enjoy my Mamiya C series TLR's and love my 4xx5, but they are not as convenient to pack around when out farting around.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Most of mine are 6x7 Velvia taken with the Mamiya. To say they are beautiful is an understatement.
    I have a lot of 56 x 72 Kodachrome PKR 64. Such a shame it's gone.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use the same reel as your friend in the picture.

Im in the same boat. Keep on moving up film sizes because it was the look that I wanted but it also keep on getting less emotion and less emotion every film size that I moved up. I just bought my first 35mm camera and am really liking the images that are coming out of it. They are grainy and tell a story.

I have also stopped worrying about the technical side as much because the technical side of the image does not matter if the pictures sucks in the first place, and a great picture that technically sucks in still a great image.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin