Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,548   Online: 945

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agree completely with E. von Hoegh about how large format teach you not only to take better photos but also how to process the film.
    I started shooting 35mm back in the early 70's and did not get a MF camera until around 2002, it then went LF first 4x5 and then 8x10
    Now i like to shoot anything between 35mm and 8x10.
    35mm is so refreshing when all you have used for a while is 8x10

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't sell that Mamiya! I've been photographing for a long time, began many years ago with a Nikon FE, gathered a few lenses over time, got a Mamiya TLR, gathered some lenses again, began large format with a Speed Graphic and am now learning 8x10 on an old Ansco with two ancient lenses. I shoot all formats depending on the subject and the kind of result I'm after. I really like having the choice. Nikon lenses that suit the FE are cheap now -- add others when you feel the need.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    I use the same reel as your friend in the picture.

Im in the same boat. Keep on moving up film sizes because it was the look that I wanted but it also keep on getting less emotion and less emotion every film size that I moved up. I just bought my first 35mm camera and am really liking the images that are coming out of it. They are grainy and tell a story.

I have also stopped worrying about the technical side as much because the technical side of the image does not matter if the pictures sucks in the first place, and a great picture that technically sucks in still a great image.
    Yeah it's kinda funny. That camera was Minolta Hi-Matic 9 with Acros and I was taking a picture of my uncle catching a fish in the second boat behind us and just turned and shot my buddy since he looked so focused. I would have never felt the liberty to do that with th Mamiya (maybe i should!), and didn't even meter, just let the camera do the work. Oh, and it's barely in focus since I guessed the distance and pulled the shot while moving.

I had bought a bike with a buddy--custom hand built steel frame, and he wanted to buy my half out. I asked what he had for trade and out came the Nikon FE in perfect condition with the 50mm 1.8 and filters. It was love at first sight. It's been a blast to use and now I just order 250 sheets of 5x7 paper to print from those rolls. I feel like I rediscovered my love for photography again!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You have had an epiphany. Congratulations! You should definitely stick with 35mm as it gives you what you want. The medium format will only gather dust, so I'll be a sport and take it off your hands. How does $100 sound?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Maybe $150 since it has three lenses?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I adore Acros. Unfortunately I find myself using faster film much if the year. Ive found medium format to be a great way to shoot 400 speed film but still have the detail i want which can be lost in the grain in 35mm. I still love 35mm for the fast glass and small size though.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    I adore Acros. Unfortunately I find myself using faster film much if the year. Ive found medium format to be a great way to shoot 400 speed film but still have the detail i want which can be lost in the grain in 35mm. I still love 35mm for the fast glass and small size though.
    I think that's why Neopan 400 was the best for me: it was fast, retained enough detail, and acted like Across in so many ways. Try Acros in 35mm with a nice lens and I think you'll enjoy the results.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whatever you do, don't sell off your 35mm gear! That will surely strike you as regrettable later down the track. What you have discovered is what many people do: "fixing my mistakes with 35mm by using a larger format, but now that my technique is better, 35mm does exactly what I want." Yep, why can't legions of others think and see that way? No, they're often too blindsided by the need to keep up with others. Way too many people discard 35mm and jump to MF, LF or ULF in search of nirvana — as a result, 35mm is never mastered. I've recently acquired MF gear (it's not my first), but I have not disenfranchised myself from 30+ years of using 35mm exclusively, and will continue to use that go-to format, particularly for bushwalking. ACROS 100 is beautiful in 35mm, but looks even more bewitching in 6x7!
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I sold most of my MF & LF gear several years ago during some hard times and regretted it. Most of it has been replaced but not used as much now. It did give me a chance, however, to use my long neglected 35mm gear and I love it. The larger formats still have their place and are used when I deem it necessary. For everyday use I carry one of the 35mm bodies and a few lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A great thread and it is a pleasure to read.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin