Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,900   Online: 1266

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

ISO Setting Options

I have a question about how my SLR cameras exposure value "EV" function might relate to pushing film. I guess what confuses me is the .5 steps. I'm assuming that a full step is the same as one stop? The half steps must just be for a more fine adjustment right?

Where I'm going with this....My entry level SLR does not have a function to change the ISO setting for film as it reads the code on the film canister. To achieve the same affect, couldn't I simply use the camera's over or under exposure compensation feature? I.e. load 400 speed film and then set the exposure +1EV to simulate shooting this film at 200 instead of 400?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, you can do that. I often did the opposite (Change the ISO to provide exposure compensation) on my first TLR which did not have that ability.
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

Images
    What kind of camera do you have? If you put masking tape over the barcode you should be able to set the ISO to what ever you want.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    A full f stop in either direction represents either double or one half the exposure. The same holds true for shutter speed changes.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey David!
    Are you sure yo can't overide the film setting?? Check your book for the camera. I have a Canon Elan7... the thing can be so automatic that it tells me what to take pictures of! But there is a function that allows me to overide the setting for film speed. I would imagine there is one for your camera, too! Soooo check the manual & let us all know!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    can't you just put tape over the DX coding stuff and then input the ASA manually? Sorry for my ignorance, all my cameras work just as well without batteries as they do with.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've got a Nikon N4004 and it does not have any sort of manual ISO setting ability. It sucks (in that way). If you tape over the DX (or use a non-DX canister) it just defaults to 100.

Images
    That sucks
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Actually why not make up stickers with the DX coding you want and then put them on the canister. I am sure you can find out what the coding is and using some masking tape and a black marker should do it. Just a thought.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That is a great idea, Eric! I have always thought that someone should just sell sheets of stickers with the coding, for poor schmucks like me. But I will have to look into whether I can just do it myself somehow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin