Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,160   Online: 730

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Why focussing screens are not imprinted...

with golden section rule? At-least I do not see any Olympus OM focussing screen in that way.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    After market custom screen is the answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could score lines at the sides to reflect the 1.68xxx in relation to the height of the negative.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought it would be cool as well, but tried it out on a d*****l setup as a custom loaded screen in a few versions like grids, spiral, both, etc. With canon point and shoot hack.

My conclusion, way to much clutter, and strict adherence to these "rules" makes your pictures worse. Train your eye to see them, but don't force your image to conform to them in every case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Because not everyone wants or needs their photographic composition to fit a rigid template, and if you want to use " the rule of thirds " it's east to divide the screen in your mind.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Because not everyone wants or needs their photographic composition to fit a rigid template, and if you want to use " the rule of thirds " it's east to divide the screen in your mind.
    +1
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favorite focusing screen for general use is the 1-4N (All Matte).
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Golden section and rule of thirds should only be thought of as a guiding principle. Composition is a very complex subject, related to many factors and the scene you are photographing. Having a grid on the screen would probably be more of a distraction than an aid.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    with golden section rule? At-least I do not see any Olympus OM focussing screen in that way.

The asshole answer: So people can think for themselves and not have to worry about trying to make every subject fit in to some 'ideal' proportion.

A more useful answer (a mere rewording of what everyone else has posted ): The concept of the golden section thing has been used for artists and architects for a long time, and can be found in nature. For some reason, people find it a pleasing format, and it can be if used right. But if you go crazy trying to make everything fit in to that one shape, then you're actually hurting your photography. Use it for the subjects that need it and ignore it for the subjects that would look best it a different format.

I think having it etched on to your focusing screen will make you try to use it every time the camera is pressed against your face
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Existing Light View Post
    The asshole answer: So people can think for themselves and not have to worry about trying to make every subject fit in to some 'ideal' proportion.

A more useful answer (a mere rewording of what everyone else has posted ): The concept of the golden section thing has been used for artists and architects for a long time, and can be found in nature. For some reason, people find it a pleasing format, and it can be if used right. But if you go crazy trying to make everything fit in to that one shape, then you're actually hurting your photography. Use it for the subjects that need it and ignore it for the subjects that would look best it a different format.

I think having it etched on to your focusing screen will make you try to use it every time the camera is pressed against your face
    Exactly.
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin