Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,359   Online: 760

Shooter
    35mm

[praktica LB2] Black bar on left side of frame - light leaks?

I have a Praktica LB2 (35mm camera) I got for my birthday. I've noticed that on several frames, there is a black bar on the left side, always in the same location. It goes beyond the frame and onto the area of the sprockets. I've checked the interior of the camera with a flash light and have not detected any visible light leaks. I don't think its the shutter curtains because they are in a different orientation than the bar. The frequency at which these bars occur appears to be random. I have one roll with few or no bars at all. I don't know what could be causing them. My two primary lenses (Domiplan 2.8/50mm, Hanimex 35mm) appear to be functioning properly, in regard to the aperture blades.

As you can see in one of the attached photos of two nearly identical shots (frame 6 and 7), the bar shows up on one frame but not the other. I could upload photos of my camera if anyone thinks that would be helpful in diagnosing the situation.

I don't think it is my film choice either (in this case, i used Kentmere 400 film) but they have also shown up on rolls of Ilford HP5+ film.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k400 6-7.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	750.1 KB 
ID:	44784Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k400 16-17.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	784.4 KB 
ID:	44785

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would bet on a light leak at the door hinge. A little foam replacement should fix it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Looks like a small light leak. If the camera uses light seals, I would replace them. Light leaks can seem intermittent because they are cumulative. If the film sits unmoving for a long period a leak can accumulate in one spot but other frames may not show it because they were advanced before the leak could affect the film in that spot.

Shooter
    35mm
    Those are excellent suggestions. There is a bit of worn-out looking foam at the hinge and the other side where the back closes, but no foam along the length of the back or on the camera. I will replace the foam areas and might even add some. Thanks for the quick and helpful advice

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yup! The leak is on the right side of the camera when you are looking at the back.

Welcome to APUG!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    hah, you even know what side its on! I think a few layers of duct tape will do the job fine, for now. thanks!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin