Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,862   Online: 1014

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxleyroad View Post
    Leigh, if you have a spare after Supplying Marc one I'd be interested for my old Sekonic light meter.
    Yep. Due to mistakenly double ordering I'll have either 2 or three units available. I'm expecting the new ones this week. I can send them back for a refund - I just wondered if anyone locally had need of them before I did that. $20 each including a new battery and a five year guarantee.
    Leigh
    Leica M6,
    Bessa R4A,
    Rolleiflex(s) 2.8/80, 4/135, 4/55.
    Nikkormat FTn
    Fuji X10

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I'm not sure if this website is applicable to your case, but I a have an old Minolta SRT that uses mercuruy batteries. I did some research and there a gentleman in the internet that shows how you can convert your Minolta SRT to use available silver oxide batteries.

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/conversion.htm
    Well, yes. You could do it that way, but it seems a hard way to go, given that units are available off the shelf for $20. My time is worth more than I'd use trying to make my own from those instructions.
    Leica M6,
    Bessa R4A,
    Nikkormat FTn
    Fuji X10

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The alkaline "equivalents":

a) supply a different voltage than the original mercury batteries; and
    2) more importantly, supply a voltage that changes over time.

For those reasons, unless the camera or meter has circuitry that deals with changing voltage, the alkaline "equivalents" do not provide a good replacement.
    Absolutely correct. The problem is that the drop in voltage from the Wein cells is relatively rapid but most people are not able to detect the changes and so a lot of frames get exposed using meters that are being progressively underpowered and therefore reading incorrectly.
    Leica M6,
    Bessa R4A,
    Nikkormat FTn
    Fuji X10

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's why rewiring is the better solution.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    Doesn't work for the SE and TE models, as they take different batteries (PX28).
    That should read PX27. Fortunately, both will tolerate higher voltages and you can use about anything you can make fit physically. PX27A are readily available and can be used without modification.

Shooter
    Multi Format

I think Freestyle has a battery.

I was looking in an old Freestyle catalog and I saw a battery listed there for some sort of battery that replaced old mercury ones. I don't have the catalog handy, but you might want to see if I'm right or way off base. Ric.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have used the Weincell batteries in the past, but over here in Switzerland one single piece comes to approx. US$ 17 which is just way too much.
    Have just ordered the battery adapter from Jon Goodman to fire up my Yashica Lynx 14. Based on my experience with his light seal kits, this should work great. I was lucky, it was the last one in stock, but Jon told me he's going to build them again soon. If I'm happy with it, I'll order some more for my OM-1's and OM-1n's.
    OM addict!
    Rob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    earing aid batteries, 6 for 2 euros... and a piece of cutted hose to fit... cheap and works!
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Youdale View Post
    Absolutely correct. The problem is that the drop in voltage from the Wein cells is relatively rapid but most people are not able to detect the changes and so a lot of frames get exposed using meters that are being progressively underpowered and therefore reading incorrectly.
    Wein cells are zinc-air, not alkaline. The problem with Wein cells is the price, not the voltage which is both correct and pretty constant over the life of the cell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin