Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,743   Online: 816

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Schneider-K. Componon-S 50mm enlarger lens - sharp??

a test I made today shows that this lens gets sharper for each stop down, from 2.8 to 16. At 2.8 it's not sharp at all, at 8 it's acceptable but there is still a substantial improvement by going down to 16. This seems to be contrary to what Schneider and most people say.
    I think my method of testing was robust, enlarger head raised to ca. 10x enlarging, focused on the grain, used one single pin sharp neg (135), did'nt move the easel. My enlarger : Durst M670 VC.
    I should be grateful if anybody can comment or help to explain what I'm getting wrong. It's a pain if I always have to use f16 to get my images sharp.Thanks in advance
    Peter

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Did you focus with a red filter between lens and negative?
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    Try it again, but focus at the same lens opening you will be using for the exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What type of grain finder are you using? and did you focus that correctly before you started to use it under the enlarger?

If you are not using the grain finder correctly, all your prints will not be sharp, and you would have to rely on stopping it way down. Once you get too small diffraction starts to kick in and from then on it will not be as sharp either.

And as well as including what the previous posts have said, I have read that in the past enlarger lenses had quite a bit of variation between each other in sharpness even from the same line and manufacturer. There is a old popphoto article on it somewhere and I think it was common at one time for a printer to buy a few copies of the same enlarger lens and choose the best, and return the rest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is what you should be seeing with a grain magnifiier if all is OK with your system:

At 2.8 at the center, grain is sharp but low in contrast. Edges my not be so sharp
    As you stop down contrast increases but sharpness decreases with each stop.
    At f8 you have a good compromise between diffraction and edge sharpness
    Past f8 it gets mushy and the grain gets indistinct.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My own experience with that lens: usable at f/2.8 (corner grain not perfect), but used it more often at 5.6 or 8.0 to offset any focusing or enlarger-paper geometric imperfections.
    The older 4.0 Componon might have a touch more acutance at those stops, but the "S" is certainly no slouch!

As others suggested, check your technique.
    Maybe shake the lens next to your ear to hear if there are any loose elements inside...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Make 100% certain your Durst isn't creeping. Both the head on the column and the lens focussing wear over time and can slip, the head can actually creep up the column. There's pressure pads that prevent this and after a time they need a slight tightening.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My M670 had focus creep. The seller fixed it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thank you to everybody for your help!
    to Andreas : no, there is nothing to disturb between neg and lens!
    And yes, it's possible that my focusing on grain is the problem. Have three focus finders: Paterson major and minor and LPL . I prefer LPL because its bigger enlargement.
    Tomorrow I'll return to darkroom and re-test. I also have a Nikon EL 50mm to compare with (not done so far).
    Ian and Sandermarijn: pretty sure there is no creeping going on, that was first thing I checked. But the Durst is not that easy to adjust finely.
    I'll report back after next tests.
    Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think I still have a 50mm/2.8 Rodagon lying around unused. Will have to check tomorrow or the day after. If I can find it and if it looks decent enough you can have it if you like. Just for making things even more confusing ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin