Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,033   Online: 950

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "Lomography" is a lamestream efffort to "brand" photography with low-fi cameras and iffy quality film. Just part of the hipster chum slick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Grumpy today?

I'd love a lensbaby, but won't pay what they're asking for it.
    I sold mine after about one month of not using it and then just built my own field camera for the movements... luckily I also sold it for more than I bought it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    "Lomography" is a lamestream efffort to "brand" photography with low-fi cameras and iffy quality film. Just part of the hipster chum slick.
    so is the use of the word lamestream, but otherwise I agree

and stavrosk is right, the quality is poor and if you're after something like that - just buy any old thing with a plastic lens and expired film, which will work out to anything from cheap as chips to free if you play your cards right

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about "Lameography"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    as in art and the study of stuff is lame?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I see absolutely nothing beneficial about slamming any film company's products or market. There are plenty of film-associated products that I don't care for...and plenty of gear that is way overpriced for what it delivers. So what. There is no obligation to buy.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought a Lensbaby with some credit card reward points; I would never have plunked down the cash on such a useless gimmick if it were real money. Gimmicky junk.

Yeah, I was wrong. I love that thing now. I've also decided not to apologize any longer for using one. I make images with my Lensbaby that would never have been possible with any other lens I have on any camera, and sometimes they are even good images. OK, sure, you could achieve the same tilts and shifts with a field camera or a T/S lens... but do it while following a butterfly in flight? That could take a while.

Sometimes one trick is all a pony needs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have bought two Holgas and one Diana as gifts to my wife and enjoy borrowing them as well. She has borrowed the Hasselblad and has also shot large format and knows her way around a darkroom. They may be overprices what you get but they are not expensive. Unless you are shooting on assignments or as a pro photography should be about enjoyment. I have seen wonderful images made by lomo cameras, pinhole and zone plate lenses as well as a lens made from a magnifying glass. Not everything is about sharpness. I love fine grain sharp images but some times the image you want is the mood and that cannot be as easily obtained with a "good" lens or camera. There is a guy in Ireland who does wonderful stuff with a zone plate on his Hasselblad. I am sure he uses a real lens as well but he does have choices by using the zone plate and they commerically bought more expensive than many cameras sold by Lomography.

We also have some old cameras that are less then good and produce some interesting images but they too are different from the Holga or Diana. And if you are giving cameras as gifts is it not better to give brand new ones than one you get for a dollar at the Post? (Just kidding Ted). If a photographer of the statue of Michael Kenna has added a Holga to his bag who am I to say I am too good to use one. They are fun and produce some thing different than an old Dualflex of Baby Brownie Special or a Schneider lens on a sheet of 4X5 Technical Pan. One can enjoy (and create) more than one type of image same as one can shoot more than one field of photography.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't fault anyone for using whatever means they choose to make/shoot whatever they choose. I have a holga, lensbaby, and have shot my share of "crappy" film (although never anything with a lomo label on it), and own several more reputable/"pro" kits. To me, these are just pieces of equipment that I use when I want what they can offer relative to their specific qualities.

What grinds me about the lomo thing in clothing stores is that it treats photography as a fad rather than a legitimate creative outlet, value of expression, or profession. I want to see people get into photography and enjoy it for the rest of their lives, not just until something else comes along to take its place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mbsmith View Post
    What grinds me about the lomo thing in clothing stores is that it treats photography as a fad rather than a legitimate creative outlet, value of expression, or profession. I want to see people get into photography and enjoy it for the rest of their lives, not just until something else comes along to take its place.
    +1

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin