Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,057   Online: 1025

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Your favorite wide prime in Nikon mount?

Well... I'm almost there! I got a 50mm f1.4 Ai'd, a 105mm f2.5 ai'd, and now all i need is something in the 17-24mm range.

It doesn't have to be Nikon brand so long as it's a good lens. Ideally it'll have a 52mm filter ring. I was thinking about a 20mm AIS, but i've seen people with 17mm Vivitar lenses, so I was wondering if there's anything to recommend those.

Then, all I'd need is an F4s to keep my F6 and my F company and... The gas never ends!

I do need a wide prime though.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I run a 105, 50 and 24 as a light all encompassing carry around kit.

I have 18mm and 24mm Sigma lenses, I find I use the 24 much more often, although if in really tight places the 18 is very good.

The Sigma 2.8 24 Super-Wide II runs a 52mm filter ring, so that fits in perfectly with your Nikkor lenses. The Sigma lenses also focus the same way as Nikkor lenses, another bonus.

The 18mm doesn’t have a screw filter, although mine has had a 72mm filter ring thread attached by the previous owner, who was/is a professional photographer.

My first suggestion would be to give serious thought to a 24mm as it is small and very handy.

The 20mm Nikkor I had for a while, whilst very useful, wasn’t quite there compared to the 18mm and is seriously different to a 24mm. So I opted for a 24 then I go to 18.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would usually take my Nikon 24mm unless I knew I needed the 28, 35, or 20. I probably use the 24 and the 20 most often. I stick with Nikon so the filters, etc., are interchangeable.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can I tempt you with a zoom?

AF-S 17-35/2.8D ED. Beautiful manual-focus feel for older cameras, fast, silent autofocus for newer ones. And wow, what optical quality.

If you don't already own a 24, you should buy a 24. It's far more useful than a 20 or a 17. Using it will also help you learn if you want a 17 or a 20.

If I were using primes exclusively I'd have a 35, 28, 24 and 20. A 17 would be a nice luxury but I could do 95% of what I need with those four lenses.

Still, I like the zoom because it's so convenient for walking around.

Full disclosure: I have prime 24 and 28 Nikkors because sometimes, traveling light is better.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd be tempted to suggest a 24mm is quite useful. I'd like to get the 17-35 zoom, but Im also tempted to just use primes for they are simply smaller. The older 20-35mm is a little cheaper than the new 17-35, unless you need wide than 20mm which I actually normally don't.

In recent history I've found myself finding those kinds of focal lengths just about the only ones I need. The 24 probably in-particular for it has less distortion than a 20mm.
    All that really matters in the end is the image, not what your using to create it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's been said many times here that Nikkor 24mm f2.8 AIS is a stunning lens. One of the best wides.
    It also has 52mm filter thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Easy

Nikon 24mm f/1.4G. My experience has been absolutely brilliant on my F100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My favorite wide-angle prime is the 35mm f/1.4.

My widest wide-angle prime is the 18mm f/3.5.

However, when I carry my 50mm f/1.4 and 105mm f/2.5, I like to carry a Nikon 28mm f/2.8.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11336821@N00/5221608879/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nikon F2 129 sml.JPG  

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been trying to figure this out myself. I have a 28mm AI and a 24mm 2.8 N (AI converted) and I really want something wider. Most of the places I want to use the 24 I wish I could go further. The 17mm Tokina seems nice but is difficult to find and the 18mm Nikon is a bit too expensive for me. Been keeping my eye out for a Vivi or Soligor or something inexpensive like that. If I end up loving the focal length I can always step up to the nikkor later.
    Sometimes I post my photos on flickr.
    Sometimes I update my tumblr.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a 28mm f/2.8 AIS and love it. I might prefer the 24mm but, I don't have one. I use the 28/2.8 AIS more than all the other lenses in my Nikon kit combined. In fact, I sometimes wonder why I even bother to keep the others...

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin