Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,387   Online: 1079

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Equipment carrying bag... which better solution???

Hi,

I am writing to ask which is, by your experience, the best solution to carry out the equipment I use usually:

Contax RTSII SLR with 50mm lens mounted
    28mm Wide angle lens
    135mm Tele lens
    (sometimes Flash)
    (sometimes Manfrotto standard tripod)
    film rolls

I would like to be free to have a back bag also (going to have a trekking for example).
    Which can be the best solution????
    A Pronto/topload little bag + one pouch for every lens???
    A mono shoulder bag that can contain everything and I can use also in front of me?
    A standard back bag?
    Please let me know if possible a solution specifying brands and models useful for this.
    Thank you in advance for your always kind partecipation....
    Bye
    Denny

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is a very personal decision. You really should try some to experience how it will be to work with them. Do you have a well-equiped photo gear dealer near you? If not, you'll have to use your imagination about how to load the bag and how it will work for you. Everyone has their own opinion. Mine is that a backpack type bag mgiht be good while in transit it is no good when photographing. I prefer Domke F-2 for that kind of load. That works even better if with an optional waist strap, and an optional hand strap.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a number of differnt bags depending on cirumstances. I for day hikes I use a backback with foam cut outs, otherwise I use a standard shoulder bag. When I was a working PJ I used a Puma gym bag, big enough for 2 bodies, 3 or 4 lens, a flash, table top tripod and a few filters and a lot of film. Sweat shrits and sweaters seperated the equipment, I had a steel cabel sown in the straps to pervent someone from cutting the strap and running off with the bag.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my experience, for a kit like yours, I have found a SlingShot 100 or 200 works really well. But, if you load it too heavily, it's really uncomfortable. I load an SS 100 with 2 OM bodies, 4 primes and a small Zuiko zoom. Very comfortable. Or, a Domke F6 also works nicely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lowepro (and others) make a bag called a "trim trekker" which is a compromise between a shoulder bag and a backpack.
    Its doesn't do either function as well as a specialized bag, but I like it (hate getting gear out of camera backpacks, especially if the ground is wet or muddy).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I find that carrying a shoulder bag makes my lower back hurt after awhile. Perhaps it doesn't help that I usually carry 3 or 4 bodies with a like number of lenses. Nowadays I prefer to use a backpack. I can carry as much in it as I like and remain in relative comfort. One thing to remember with back packs, especially when they are heavy, is that they should have a good waist strap, and that the waist strap should carry the load, not the shoulder straps (something I learned in the Infantry while in the Army).

If I am in a situation where I need to change equipment more quickly, I simply wear the backpack backward, with it in front of me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've been in the hunt for a new bag the last couple of weeks and today I ran across an ad for a Vanguard bag that converts from a sling bag to a full backpack. I saw it in Outdoor Photographer Magazine as of today.
    Personally I'm leaning to a Tamrac sling bag for easy access and the ability to do a little rock scrambling. Their MAS system adds external clip on pouches. Check B&H
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format

Look for 1 of the 2 Sized Photoflex " Galen Rowell " bags.

Quote Originally Posted by stark_674 View Post
    Hi,

I am writing to ask which is, by your experience, the best solution to carry out the equipment I use usually:

Contax RTSII SLR with 50 mm lens mounted
    28 mm Wide angle lens
    135 mm Tele lens
    (sometimes Flash)
    (sometimes Manfrotto standard tripod)
    film rolls

I would like to be free to have a back bag also (going to have a trekking for example).
    Which can be the best solution????
    A Pronto/topload little bag + one pouch for every lens???
    A mono shoulder bag that can contain everything and I can use also in front of me?
    A standard back bag?
    Please let me know if possible a solution specifying brands and models useful for this.
    Thank you in advance for your always kind participation....
    Denny
    Look for 1 of the 2 sized Photoflex " Galen Rowell " bags.
    He designed it & with his Mountain climbing experience,
    I find it to be an excellently designed bag.

They are no longer made so either look on eBay, or contact me,
    as I have one each of extras of each size available for sale.
    They just need the sling strap replaced. This is why they are for sale.
    They were the first bag to use this strap design, combined with an
    oversized fanny pack, plus extra pockets on the waist belt.

For 1 camera body & 3 lenses, the smaller waist pack size, would
    probably be fine, but as I've recently been reminded, a camera bag
    absorbs equipment, like nature abhors a vacuum, or traffic abhors a space.

Carry the Manfrotto tripod in a separate tripod bag, on one shoulder,
    or in your free hand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Galen Rowell bag

Galen Rowell bag like this?

A great bag.

Click for larger image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GR bag #2 web.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have the use of a range of bags, none of which is perfect. I have a large LowePro rucksack for 5x4 work. I keep my Contax SLR and Leica kit in LowePro Nova cases to try to keep dust at bay, but when I'm out and about I find their bulk annoying, though I do carry a Contax AX with 35-70mm, Mutar II, 18mm, 25mm, 80-200mm, 60mm macro and sometimes a Schneider PC Super Angulon in its case, together with film and batteries. For lighter work, I switch to a Bare Bones Bag. This generally has a range of lenses for a Leica M6 and motor drive (28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 90mm and 135mm), plus film, batteries and polariser. I'll carry my Pentax Spotmeter on my wrist and a range of glass filters for black and white in a pouch in my jacket pocket. I have also substituted the 135mm lens for an Epson RD-1 body at times.

The Bare Bones Bag can also be used for a small Contax set-up quite easily, such as my RTS II (which I don't use much, unfortunately) and a few lenses.

Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin