Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,419   Online: 784

Shooter
    Medium Format

Loading a Zenit B

Forgive me if this is really obvious and i'm asking a dumb question but...how do i load this thing? I'm used to there being a spool on the other side with a hole to slot the film into. But that's not the case here.

And being a skint student i don't really want to waste what film i have experimenting til i get it right

So a heads up would be great. I've included the photo for better/easier explaining. Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0663.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You must put film end under metallic catch - you can see it in the left side of spool- and then as usual.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks! Didn't realise that was a clip. Now i feel dafter than i did for asking in the first place.

But there's something else now i've loaded the film. I'm looking at the winder with the film sensitivity numbers on top. I've turned it to what i think is 400ISO though there is only 250, followed by two dots and then 500. Am i right to put it to between the two dots? I've looked at manuals online but nothing seems to say how to work this bit. I'm a bit puzzled to say the least.

dmb

Shooter
    35mm
    Pulled my very old Zenith E off the shelf. Either my eyes are getting old or I dont have any dots between 250 and 500. Not to worry there should be markings for DIN settings on the other side - 400 ISO(or ASA as was) is 27 Din - but if it is a Zenith B then that dial is just a reminder as it has no built in meter, so you will need to use an exposure meter or an exposure guide.
    Last edited by dmb; 01-27-2012 at 12:32 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Additional info

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks DMB! Definitely a couple of dots there. I never thought about the fact that it's got no built in light meter. D'oh!

dmb

Shooter
    35mm
    I still carry a slide rule exposure calculator in my bag - a bit like this make it yourself one - http://squit.co.uk/photo/exposurecalc.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Remember to spin to frame counter dial to "1" as it has to be set manually for the first frame each time you load. Don't accidentally bump it during the roll or you will lose your frame count.

Shooter
    35mm
    I know this is a pretty old thread but it actually helped me out, I got Zenit-B with a Carl Zeiss Flektogon and I was loving it until I got to about photo 30 on a 26 roll, opened it up to relies film had jammed because I hadn't loaded it correctly due to not noticing the clip!

Shooter
    35mm
    MamiyaJen: a word of warning to you and other messy housekeepers:

Your picture demands a response other than 'under the clip' and most will benefit from this caveat.

There is a LOT of dust in the back of your camera. Remember, the tiny 24 x 36 area is going to be greatly enlarged, along with all that dust, should some find a home on your film. I advise both you and all the others to look closely at the backs of your respective cameras with a magnifying glass in order to see how dirty your 'clean' camera really is! And do this FREQUENTLY. Without that magnifying glass you will be deceived!

And any who do not think that this is sound advice should suffer forever in a pool of Spotone. A brush and a breath works wonders but it has to be done frequently. Learn to be 'small', like that negative, and you will see many gremlins which deserve to be destroyed. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 07-18-2014 at 03:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin