Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,899   Posts: 1,584,383   Online: 720

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

What new Sling Bag?

I'm looking for a sling bag to fit 2 bodies, A1 with 50 F1.4 attached and a Nikkormat FT2 with 35mm F2 attached and probably an extra lens and maps, possibly a GPS. Comfort is of primary concern after equipment. I've been looking for over a week and had just about decided on the Tamrac Evolution 8 but it seems like it may be hard to get into and one might have to move stuff around to get anything out. Right now I'm looking at the Lowepro 102 and 202 AW. Any insights into your experiences are appreciated.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had the Lowepro 200 AW for a few years now. Pros: Fits large camera and motordrive/battery grip easily in quick access pocket, fits 2 average sized primes, and a large speed light as well. Lots of little pockets and crevices to organize things. Easy to access top pocket where you can even throw in a smaller point and shoot or filter bag set, film etc. Nice pull out rain protector. getting to camera is a snap if its not already around your neck/shoulder.
    Cons: Hard to carry 2 full sized cameras without separating one as body/lens, but doable with smaller slrs. Sling style straps can get tiring much faster than backpack style bags on long walks/hikes. Getting gear from main compartment, besides the quick access port is kinda tricky. I also have the 100 model, which I got for Christmas this year, its really small and unusable.

Though I dont have the Tamrac Evolution 8, I like the fact that you can tailor which way you want straps, left right, or backpack style. But it looks very small in pictures.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Have a look at the Think Tank Sling-O-Matics bags... they are more practical than any other sling bag I tried - and I really tried them all:

- They open WIDE.
    - The main compartment is one huge main compartment and not as nested as all the others.
    - The main compartment has dividers that I can change at will... if I want to carry a big Eos SLR with a 300/f4 and extender attached: no problem.
    - They can be carried on the left or right shoulder. Carry such a bag for some hours and you know why you really want to change the way you carry it.
    - Build quality is exemplary.
    - There is a big version with a big notebook compartment.

Downside: Think Tank is expensive, but you get what you pay for.
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin