Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,117   Online: 814

Shooter
    35mm

Tamron 90 vs Nikon 105 Macro lens

Hey guys,

Any one used both? I got a Tamron and am getting pretty sharp. The only thing I hate is the extending barrel when focusing. In terms of quality do you know of any comparisons?

Shooter
    35mm
    There are several models of both Tamron 90mm and Nikon 105mm macro lenses, and none of them are less than excellent. Which particular lenses are you interested in comparing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The extending barrell means, it is not reducing focal-length to get close, which is a good news for the majority of applications. Why use a 90mm-Macro which becomes a 60mm up close?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by skahde View Post
    The extending barrell means, it is not reducing focal-length to get close, which is a good news for the majority of applications. Why use a 90mm-Macro which becomes a 60mm up close?
    Was a decision based on my wallet size. I got the 90mm for about 3rd the price of the 60mm Nikkor.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For precise focusing it might be helpful to get a micro positioning plate ie Manfrotto #3419. You can set the magnification ratio, focus and then fine focus with the plate. I have a Nikon 2.8 105 macro that I'm very pleased with.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I used the Tamron a lot years ago... not the best build, but it performed well enough. (film days).

I went with the Micro Nikkor AIS and tubes to keep in my kit.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would recommend anyone else looking at these lenses consider the Tokina 100mm F2.8 Macro also. This is the one I decided on, and have been completely happy with the choice.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...AT_X_M100.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rakeshmravi View Post
    Was a decision based on my wallet size. I got the 90mm for about 3rd the price of the 60mm Nikkor.
    It's a very good lense and currently the only third-party lens in my bag. After some haggling back an forth I even got it for free. It nicely supplements my Nikkor 2.8/55mm when I need a bit more reach and likes pixels as much as silver grains.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the Nikkor 105mm f/2.8VRII. I played around with other lenses at a store but not enough of experience to comment on performance.

105VR is a very sharp and contrasty lens even at wide open. In fact, improvement by stopping down is very small. My only complaint is that it's chunky and heavy. I love it for macro and portrait purposes. While VR is pretty much useless for Macro, it IS useful for not-so-macro close-up and portrait uses.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin