Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,129   Online: 1059

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh, one time I was out with the 14x17 and had this guy ask me if I wanted to take his picture with it. That was NOT my purpose that day, and he was far from fetching. Had it been the Rollei, sure, I'd have fluffed his ego by taking his picture. But not with the 14x17 at $15/exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Once I had this comment from an old man when out shooting with my Nikon F. He started talking about his F3 and how the battery died when he was on safari and had to finish the trip with m90.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last fall I was taking pictures downtown Toronto in the "Occupied" zone when someone stopped me to say "well this is a real camera".
    I was shooting my Canon QL 17 GIII and he was telling his girlfriend that you need to "know some stuff" to be able to get the picture right and print it with a full manual camera. They were using their IPhones. I smiled, what else can I say? I appreciated his comments though.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    See this frequently when using a rolleiflex or a speed graphic. Brings back lots of memories to old people. Young people have more of a wonder or curiosity than proven appreciation.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Everyone looks at me like I am from another planet

To avoid boring conversations I have cultivated a curled-lip smile like an old dog with a bone - Works every time

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=benjiboy;1294988]About three years ago three young punks were so appreciative of my Canon F1-N AE that they tried to shove me down an alley and mug me for it

I didn't get mugged, but shooting film saved me from being mugged, I think. I was doing some night shots in downtown New York when a group of 20 somethings passed by. The last one, stopped, "eyed" my Pentax LX on top of the tripod and said "That's a nice camera. Expensive I bet!" I replied, "Not really. It's an old film camera." He said "Oh," and left.
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Today since it was a nice sunny day I went for a walk at lunch with my RB67. A guy sitting on a bench says, hey, is that a Mamiya? Turns out he used to be a crime scene photographer for the local PD, and has an antique 8x10 at home.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    A guy sitting on a bench says, hey, is that a Mamiya? Turns out he used to be a crime scene photographer for the local PD
    My RB67 came from a police force in the north of England. It had hardly been used.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I usually get a lot of admiring looks and friendly comments when shooting with my Hasselblad 501cm. I especially enjoy when someone with the latest and greatest digital camera around their neck jealously eyeballs it People I photograph also seem to respond more favorably to it than tourists with their digital p&s, some also take for granted that you're a professional (which in this case I happen to be) just because you're shooting film.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by amsp View Post
    ...I usually get a lot of admiring looks and friendly comments when shooting with my Hasselblad 501cm. I especially enjoy when someone with the latest and greatest digital camera around their neck jealously eyeballs it ...
    The sad thing is, when all the expense of the equipment and never ending digital 'upgrades' are taken into account, it is much less costly to have a Hasselblad and take your photos on film.

Perhaps it is that reality sinking in that fuels the jealousy?

I think so...
    - Bill Lynch

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin