Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,282   Online: 952

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Oops! The old lens was the 500/5 Reflex Nikkor. I think it was made for speed and not for sharpness. The question for anyone who does not have unlimited resources is not whether a reflex lens is "good." It's whether the reflex lens will deliver a better final result compared to using a shorter lens and enlarging more or using a shorter lens with a teleconverter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Dynachrome;

For your Tamron Type 52B or 52BB 8/500mm Mirror lens, have you tried it with the Tamron Type 28FH Lens Hood for the 52B/52BB? No, it will not help where you are shooting into the sun, but it will certainly help with light coming from the sides.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ralph, I think you are talking about the problem I had with the Tamron. In fact I used the built-in hood. Making it longer could be a solution... I think I received an email about a similar matter this morning, probably that is all about lens hoods :-)
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format

A Thesis on Reflex " Mirror " Lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by dynachrome View Post
    I remember seeing a 600/8 Sigma mirror lens which was suposed to be decent. I have no mirror lenses but the ones I would be interested include the 500/8 Canon, the 500/8 Minolta and the 800mm Minolta. The old Vivitar Solid Cat lenses are also VERY interesting. Years ago a friend has the Tamron. He put it on a tripod and shot out of a window. The lens didn't seem to be very sharp but I figured out that the tripod was set up right near an air conditioning unit and the vibration was causing the problem.
    Note: From all of my research, the Canon's & Minolta's were NEVER as sharp as the
    Old Nikkor's.
    If you're shooting Minolta AF, then get the Minolta AF 500 lens, it's supposed to be pretty
    good in that mount. And an AF Reflex lens is nothing short of amazing.
    Otherwise use the Nikon on a Nikon or adapt it to a Canon, which is what I do.

My first use of a Nikkor 500 mm f 8.0 Mirror lens, was as a Rental.
    I didn't know enough at the time, but this particular lens had the same sharpness
    as a Tamron 300 mm f 2.8 lens. Both were " ED " Sharp !
    A friend had a Tamron 500, which was good, but did not compare.
    I later learned that as Nikon tried to make the Reflex lens, smaller, it lost that
    " special sharpness ". I don't know about what ever current 500 mm Mirror lens,
    that Nikon may have, but I won't buy without a test shoot, so this precludes me
    getting a 500 mm Reflex Nikkor by eBay.

I own an 800 mm Vivitar Solid Cat, it's good, but not great. I had a 600 mm Vivitar
    Solid Cat, which was better than the 800 mm. I sold when I got the Tamron 300 mm
    f 2.8, because with the 2.0 Tele converter the now 600 mm f 5.6 was sharper, than
    the 600 mm f 8.0 Vivitar. Now that I use AF, I wish I had the 600 mm back.
    Again NO eBay for me, as these seem to be Chinese Knock-Offs.

Vivitar did have a 450 mm Series One lens & Tamron had a 350 mm f 5.6 Mirror lens
    out at one time. At least with the Vivitar 450 mm you might be able to tell if it's a
    Chinese knock-off, by the focusing grip. The Tamron's do come up used occasionally,
    but people don't like them, because of the lack of depth of field.

Finally, I think that Soligor had a zoom Mirror lens. I've never heard anything good
    about it.

Finally, I have a Nikkor 1,000 mm f 11.0 Reflex lens. I used to use it principally,
    when I shot the Long Beach Grand Prix. I would use it at the last turn, before the
    hairpin, shooting from the street above, around a 1/4 mile away & did pretty well
    with it, of course on a tripod. I used to awe the gate keepers, when I started to
    set-up to shoot, as they all told me, that I was too far away.
    Then when I pulled out the lens, & they looked through it, they understood.
    I used to relish the fact that I was the only one, that could get that shot from that
    position !
    One year I tried the 1.4 extender recommended for it, but the image fell apart &
    the image was unusable.

Finally, the best way to shoot action with these lenses is by Zone Focusing.
    Last edited by Vanishing Point Ent.; 02-11-2012 at 09:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm

Reflex Nikkor

Quote Originally Posted by dynachrome View Post
    There was also a 500/4 Reflex Nikkor at one time. I remember seeing a 600/8 Sigma mirror lens which was suposed to be decent. I have no mirror lenses but the ones I would be interested include the 500/8 Canon, the 500/8 Minolta and the 800mm Minolta. The old Vivitar Solid Cat lenses are also interesting. Years ago a friend has the Tamron. He put it on a tripod and shot out of a window. The lens didn't seem to be very sharp but I figured out that the tripod was set up right near an air conditioning unit and the vibration was causing the problem. I have a 90/2.5 Tamron SP (52BB) which is very sharp and has excellent out of focus rendition so some Tamrons are quite good.
    The Nikkor 500mm was an f/5. I bought one a long time ago at a camera show. I hardly ever use it as it is very big and heavy. I also have an older 500mm f/8 that I bought used. It only focuses to around 15 feet or so.

DaveO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin