Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,876   Online: 1124
      
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11
    Sirius Glass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California & Virginia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,635
    I signed it.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

    I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

  2. #12
    fstop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Though I am not a Nikon user, nor a USA resident, I have read the petition and find it particularly disturbing. Is it confined to the USA, either at this time, or globally being the next step? I note from the petition that Canon has never had a policy like this. I think a bit of desk-thumping would be in order or otherwise an investigation into Nikon's trade practice; the whole thing doesn't really resonate well at all.
    The issue is with change.org not the petition itself.

  3. #13
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Though I am not a Nikon user, nor a USA resident, I have read the petition and find it particularly disturbing. Is it confined to the USA, either at this time, or globally being the next step? I note from the petition that Canon has never had a policy like this. I think a bit of desk-thumping would be in order or otherwise an investigation into Nikon's trade practice; the whole thing doesn't really resonate well at all.
    Nikon is all but done with film cameras, so what parts can still be available aside from the ones I mentioned above? If we're talking DSLRs, which among those is no longer supported? If anything, the plunge in film camera prices is hurting repairmen more than parts supplies. Why repair when you can replace for less?

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,149
    In the early 90s, a friend who was then a local pro sent a Nikkor O 35/2 pre AI lens to Nikon for service. The auto diaphragm was jammed. Lens came back with a note reading "We no longer service lenses this old". He gave me the lens. The diaphragm was jammed by a small screw that had loosened; I repaired and relubed the lens and have been using it since. Another instance with an F2 body, belonged to a friend and needed a minor repair which Nikon wouldn't perform. Neither of these items needed parts.


    I'll get my needed spares by cannibalising junkers, I've never had any confidence in Nikon's service dept..

  5. #15
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,798
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    In the early 90s, a friend who was then a local pro sent a Nikkor O 35/2 pre AI lens to Nikon for service. The auto diaphragm was jammed. Lens came back with a note reading "We no longer service lenses this old". He gave me the lens. The diaphragm was jammed by a small screw that had loosened; I repaired and relubed the lens and have been using it since. Another instance with an F2 body, belonged to a friend and needed a minor repair which Nikon wouldn't perform. Neither of these items needed parts.


    I'll get my needed spares by cannibalising junkers, I've never had any confidence in Nikon's service dept..
    I'm sympathetic to Nikon.ca's face-saving ploy of declining service to older lenses and bodies due to parts issues.Too many cheapskates--the majority of those looking for service on old gear here--expect the earth for absurdly-low prices or even reject an agreed-upon price and try to cut a deal on pick-up. The Nikon techs got tired of the BS and just asked that no more old stuff be accepted. It was a trickle anyway and cost them nothing. Several Nikon-only shops picked-up the slack. Do you really expect your local Toyota dealer to offer parts and service on '71 Corolla? No more than I'd expect a CLA on an F2 from Nikon.ca.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,837
    the issue mostly involves digital cameras as our film cameras are too old any way and can't blame Nikon for not servicing our F, F2 etc.. But I do understand that with the digital, software is always needed to do service correctly (even newer film camera like F5, F6 would need specialized software for a simple calibration) and if Nikon doesn't want to sell these software then an independent shop would have difficulty servicing those cameras. Selling those software, it's difficult to control and make sure no illegal copies will be made. Because so few copies are needed the cost of these software is very high.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,149
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    I'm sympathetic to Nikon.ca's face-saving ploy of declining service to older lenses and bodies due to parts issues.Too many cheapskates--the majority of those looking for service on old gear here--expect the earth for absurdly-low prices or even reject an agreed-upon price and try to cut a deal on pick-up. The Nikon techs got tired of the BS and just asked that no more old stuff be accepted. It was a trickle anyway and cost them nothing. Several Nikon-only shops picked-up the slack. Do you really expect your local Toyota dealer to offer parts and service on '71 Corolla? No more than I'd expect a CLA on an F2 from Nikon.ca.
    You did notice that my post referred to events that happened 20~ years ago, right?

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Central Florida, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,810
    Nikon being a corporation and it is a for profit organization, I'd imagine the only way to make them change their mind is if anything we do actually affects their earnings or else being forced to change by law. We can sign all the petitions we want but until we start to speak by spending, such as not buying their cameras and lenses, there is no intensive for Nikon to change its mind. I doubt sufficient number of people will stop buying Nikon gears to make sufficient difference.

    I don't know for sure, but doesn't automotive industry have a federal law requiring manufacturers to supply parts to indy repair shops? Perhaps that's a better way to approach this. Petition for legislative change.

    This kind of practice isn't limited to Nikon. Some of the higher end companies are much worse. For example, Rolex won't sell anyone parts. Not only that, if they find the watches they receive for repair has been altered by a third party - even if it contained genuine parts like dials, they'll change it back to how the piece left the factory before they'd start the repair. If it contained any non-genuine parts, it will redo all the repairs before they'd do theirs. Yet, they do very well selling their pieces. Third party repair shops are plentiful too - despite these restrictions.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

  9. #19
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,798
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    You did notice that my post referred to events that happened 20~ years ago, right?
    Sure did but also know people still expect Nikon to cater to Nixon-era relics. The petition is tangential to this. The service life of most DSLRs isn't that long. Is a D70 worth fixing relative to the price of low-actuation used replacement?

  10. #20
    Brian C. Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    476
    Blog Entries
    2
    Images
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Do you really expect your local Toyota dealer to offer parts and service on '71 Corolla?
    Actually, Honda has a huge inventory of parts for old bikes. When I was getting some parts for my bike, I spoke with a fellow who was riding a vintage mid-60s bike, and he said that the local service department ordered them from Japan. Yes, he had to wait for the part to come in, but that's expected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin