Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,717   Posts: 1,514,810   Online: 864

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Actually, Honda has a huge inventory of parts for old bikes. When I was getting some parts for my bike, I spoke with a fellow who was riding a vintage mid-60s bike, and he said that the local service department ordered them from Japan. Yes, he had to wait for the part to come in, but that's expected.
    Didn't have that experience helping to restore a CBX a few years back. It was strictly lucky finds of pricey NOS bits and variously priced used stuff. Nothing at all through Honda.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would think that modern Nikon SLR s both film and digital are such complex electro/mechanical devices that only Nikon and their approved repairers who have the right Nikon diagnostic/ test equipment and Nikon trained staff were able to correctly service their products, and beyond the capability s of many independent repairers.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Nikon being a corporation and it is a for profit organization, I'd imagine the only way to make them change their mind is if anything we do actually affects their earnings or else being forced to change by law. We can sign all the petitions we want but until we start to speak by spending, such as not buying their cameras and lenses, there is no intensive for Nikon to change its mind. I doubt sufficient number of people will stop buying Nikon gears to make sufficient difference.

I don't know for sure, but doesn't automotive industry have a federal law requiring manufacturers to supply parts to indy repair shops? Perhaps that's a better way to approach this. Petition for legislative change.

This kind of practice isn't limited to Nikon. Some of the higher end companies are much worse. For example, Rolex won't sell anyone parts. Not only that, if they find the watches they receive for repair has been altered by a third party - even if it contained genuine parts like dials, they'll change it back to how the piece left the factory before they'd start the repair. If it contained any non-genuine parts, it will redo all the repairs before they'd do theirs. Yet, they do very well selling their pieces. Third party repair shops are plentiful too - despite these restrictions.
    Not only will Rolex not sell parts they'll keep them too. A couple years ago I had my '77 SS Datejust rebuilt and asked for a new bracelet as the original one had links that were worn to the point of breaking. I was told that they would be keeping the old one. I protested, saying that was my property and had been since 1977. They won, of course, but the vendor gave me a bit of a price break to acknowledge my argument. I was going to put that bracelet on a fake movement and sell it down on upper Larimer, naturally.

s-a

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Nikon being a corporation and it is a for profit organization, I'd imagine the only way to make them change their mind is if anything we do actually affects their earnings or else being forced to change by law. We can sign all the petitions we want but until we start to speak by spending, such as not buying their cameras and lenses, there is no intensive for Nikon to change its mind. I doubt sufficient number of people will stop buying Nikon gears to make sufficient difference.

I don't know for sure, but doesn't automotive industry have a federal law requiring manufacturers to supply parts to indy repair shops? Perhaps that's a better way to approach this. Petition for legislative change.

This kind of practice isn't limited to Nikon. Some of the higher end companies are much worse. For example, Rolex won't sell anyone parts. Not only that, if they find the watches they receive for repair has been altered by a third party - even if it contained genuine parts like dials, they'll change it back to how the piece left the factory before they'd start the repair. If it contained any non-genuine parts, it will redo all the repairs before they'd do theirs. Yet, they do very well selling their pieces. Third party repair shops are plentiful too - despite these restrictions.
    THE LAST THING WE NEED IS MORE LAWS.
    No law on the books requiring them to sell to anyone.They have to make parts available for 7 years but there is no requirement to sell to anyone.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I would think that modern Nikon SLR s both film and digital are such complex electro/mechanical devices that only Nikon and their approved repairers who have the right Nikon diagnostic/ test equipment and Nikon trained staff were able to correctly service their products, and beyond the capability s of many independent repairers.
    Actually the DSLRs are much easier to repair than the film cameras. Mostly it is replacing boards etc, not repairing a single component. Many of the problems can be diagnosed by plugging the camera into a computer that has Nikons DSLR diagnostic and testing software or computer connection to a Nikon computer. It will tell you what the problems are and can make adjustments with out lifting a screw driver.

It takes less knowledge and dexterity to repair a DSLR than a film camera.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin