Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,778   Online: 724

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

NIKON USERS READ

if you use a nikon camera
    you might want to read and sign
    this petition ...

http://www.change.org/petitions/niko...ve-always-done

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks John, but I don't think that this includes older models like my F or even my FE. I did sign the petition because I do believe they need to continue supplying parts to independent repairs facilities no matter.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Like guitstik, I doubt my F3 is included in this. However, I signed it simply because I believe users should be able to get their cameras serviced wherever, just like cars or computers. If Nikon wants to say "use our repair centers or you void your warranty," I suppose I could live with that. But simply stopping the supply of parts is an asinine move. If Honda decided that my wife had to get her Civic serviced at the dealer, no ifs ands or buts, she'd promptly find another make of car. Same goes for Nikon. I have been thinking about getting a new Nikon DSLR, but I may have to take a look at Canon or another manufacturer if Nikon makes good on this threat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Does this restriction only apply to the U.S. or are other countries' independent repairers involved? The petition seems to be aimed at U.S. Nikon users which raises the question of whether a signature from a user in another country would even be counted or might even devalue the petition.

It is a stupid policy that Nikon appears to want to follow. Not sure what the law is in the U.S. on servicing and warranty but the legal consensus in the U.K. is that in the case of vehicle warranty for instance, it is not invalidated by independent repairers unless it can be shown by the manufacturer that the parts used were substandard or the repair was incompetently handled.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This practice isn't unique to Nikon, it's quite common with photographic equipment manufacturers if other than registered repairers try to buy spares from them regardless if they are companys or individuals , and the practice isn't just confined to the photographic trade .
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Does this restriction only apply to the U.S. or are other countries' independent repairers involved? The petition seems to be aimed at U.S. Nikon users which raises the question of whether a signature from a user in another country would even be counted or might even devalue the petition.r
    You would try the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) and perhaps some state legislation (California, New York most likely). This is for the US.

I believe there are existing agreements among state regulators and major automobile manufacturers allowing for the sourcing of parts at wholesale cost to independent repair persons. This was done as pre-emptive to anti-competition regulations. Not all suppliers buy in, mostly the very high-end companies have their own systems (try generally sourcing a Ferrari part). I know of no such legal construct for cameras. Probably not a large enough market or imbalance created to move the political regulatory needle.

What Nikon is doing is quite common. Preferred and/or qualified sales or support agreements are actually the norm, not the exception.
    Last edited by Aristophanes; 01-30-2012 at 10:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    With the exception of the FM-10 and F6 and F100 and F5, Nikon.ca won't service older film cameras due to parts unavailability.Not sure I'd want anyone else putzing with a D300 but Nikon service. This leaves me wondering what the point of this is. The charge that Nikon service is routinely farmed out(to Mexico???)isn't exactly well-documented. Camera repair isn't exactly a robust business in Canada.

Shooter
    35mm
    DON"T SIGN THAT

if you are concerned contact Nikon directly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh screw that, I like calling Nikon's parts department to get parts.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Though I am not a Nikon user, nor a USA resident, I have read the petition and find it particularly disturbing. Is it confined to the USA, either at this time, or globally being the next step? I note from the petition that Canon has never had a policy like this. I think a bit of desk-thumping would be in order or otherwise an investigation into Nikon's trade practice; the whole thing doesn't really resonate well at all.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin