Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,300   Online: 1091

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Head for Manfrotto 680B monopod.

I just ordered the monopod and would like to get a ball head with quick detach plate.Does anyone use a 486Rc2 on their setup?

Thanks

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hate it. Ballheads on monopods just don't work for me. I use one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Head_for.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great suggestion!

Shooter
    35mm
    I won't be of much help as I own a 498rc2 and use it with tripod. I did intend to use it with a monopod as well, but never got the opportunity. I do agree with CGW that ballheads are not the best solution for use with monopods.

Digression that has nothing to do with the question:
    Who would tell that a sturdy thing like Manfrotto 498rc2 could be rendered useless in 5 seconds by a bare-handed 2 year old. The main knob unscrews easily and nothing prevents it being pulled out. The problem: The thread of the knob is hollow and contains a domed insert which, my guess is, does the tension work. What holds the insert in place? Nothing except some grease (I went to a Nikon store and checked the head). So my 2 year old son unscrewed the knob, took it out and threw it away. I found the knob because this happened in an apartment and the knob is big enough. The insert is tiny and MIA (and no, he didn't swallow it).
    So, if you own one of these, be careful not to unscrew the main knob all the way or you can kiss about $30 goodbye and can't use the head until you find the part.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    Great suggestion!
    Make a point of checking for these on the big auction site. They show up frequently. Got mine a few years back, like new for about $US 25.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBodyOldSoul View Post
    I won't be of much help as I own a 498rc2 and use it with tripod. I did intend to use it with a monopod as well, but never got the opportunity. I do agree with CGW that ballheads are not the best solution for use with monopods.

Digression that has nothing to do with the question:
    Who would tell that a sturdy thing like Manfrotto 498rc2 could be rendered useless in 5 seconds by a bare-handed 2 year old. The main knob unscrews easily and nothing prevents it being pulled out. The problem: The thread of the knob is hollow and contains a domed insert which, my guess is, does the tension work. What holds the insert in place? Nothing except some grease (I went to a Nikon store and checked the head). So my 2 year old son unscrewed the knob, took it out and threw it away. I found the knob because this happened in an apartment and the knob is big enough. The insert is tiny and MIA (and no, he didn't swallow it).
    So, if you own one of these, be careful not to unscrew the main knob all the way or you can kiss about $30 goodbye and can't use the head until you find the part.
    Seen that movie. My son expertly disassembled a numbing range of gear but always put the parts in a neat pile with no missing pieces. Too bad he wasn't verbal enough at the time to explain reassembly...

Discovered those fiendishly slippery cone insert thingies a few years back. Lost it but managed to get a free one from the Canadian distrib. after some unmanly blubbering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've looked at a couple of technical sites about proper monopod stance.A few show the unit being braced against the back foot and tilted forward at a slight angle.How could you maintain a level shooting platform in this case?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    I've looked at a couple of technical sites about proper monopod stance.A few show the unit being braced against the back foot and tilted forward at a slight angle.How could you maintain a level shooting platform in this case?
    There's no drill manual, no "proper" stance. Whatever works for you is what works. I usually try to pull my elbows into the sides of my chest when standing with the monopod straight down. I often leave the RC2 plate a little loose to allow a bit of movement on vertical shots for leveling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great.I'll try that when the monopod arrives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't use my monopod much, but I have it equipped with one of the single axis tilt thingies like CGW provided a link to. That normally takes care of tilting up or down and the rest can be tweaked by wiggling/twisting/leaning the 'pod. I have a ballhead on a tripod, but on a monopod I'd think that would be a three-hand operation!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin