Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,475   Online: 980

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    When buying an FE (FM,FA for that matter) be wary of ones that show signs of a motor drive or winder being attached. The FA is usually missing the front grip and the MD contact cover, they all will (FA,FM,FE) will have burrs raised on the sides of the drive slot.
    These cameras probably have had the wind mechanism beat up or more than expected wear on the wind mechanism.
    Some people use motors/winders all the time, I only use them when I absolutely have to have one.

I'll second Safety Bob, good condition FEs are worth fixing.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    That has happened to me only once with my FE... when I received it. After unjamming it and replacing the battery the jam never happened again. I'd start looking into the possiblility that the linkage that jams is either bent or unlubricated -- making it more prone to jamming than it should be.

I don't know what, if any, effect turning the camera on and off has on this jam. I have a MD-11 on mine and recently found out that both the MD and the camera batteries will drain if the MD is not switched off after use. But that is just an interesting fact that might have absolutely nothing to do with your jam problem.

The MD11 drive was notorious for battery drain. If you replace it with the MD12, this has automatic power cut-off as soon as you release finger pressure on the drive button, so the battery drain problem will not occur. Of course it is always desirable to physically switch off the drive switch when not in use.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    fstop, thanks for the hint to look at where the motor drive connects......I would have never have thought to look there OR as most of us buy these online, it would be prudent to ask seller to put picture of that area or ask if motor drive has been used (if they even know). I love my MD-12's on my FE and FAs, but will start doing as you and only install it if I really need it.

Rolleiman, thanks for that info on the MD-11. I can't remember why I chose to get MD-12's for my stuff right now, I think it was because I read somewhere the MD-12 was newer and many of the MD-11's were worked very hard and additionally that parts were harder to come by.

Speaking of CLA's for a FE and/or FA.......any recommendations out there? Anyone recently had a CLA done? Not that I am having any problems with mine, but I am in the mood to keep my FE and FA in a like new condition as possible. I think I am running on borrowed time with none of my cameras ever being serviced (which has to say something about quality manufacturing).

bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBob View Post
    I love my MD-12's on my FE and FAs, but will start doing as you and only install it if I really need it.

Rolleiman, thanks for that info on the MD-11. I can't remember why I chose to get MD-12's for my stuff right now, I think it was because I read somewhere the MD-12 was newer and many of the MD-11's were worked very hard and additionally that parts were harder to come by.
    I do the complete opposite with my FE -- I leave the motor on at all times. The MD-11/12 seems much more fickle to get set up than are the later MD-4s. So I opt for getting it set up correctly and not having to fiddle wiht it again. The only reason I might take the MD-11 off of my FE would be to replace it with a MD-12. The battery drain is a real issue and I'm just not as disciplined as I should be with regard to turning the switch of 'off'. If only it wore out the MD batteries, but it wears out the meter batteries at the same time. Those once were found at every corner drugstore but not any longer.

Re: parts availability... I wouldn't worry about that. The are so old and inexpensive and plentiful that they may as well be considered "throw-away". That breaks my heart, but it is what it is.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Pain-MD View Post
    I've been having this problem for a year now with my FE. I've had it serviced twice, first time was a CLA and the second time was a more intense servicing of the innards. It went away for a while, but is now happening again. I don't know why or how, but I am sick and tired of it and it makes me want to throw the damn FE out the window. It's a shame because I really like the camera.
    I think I would keep an eye out for a different, good condition FE and have it overhauled rather than putting more money into the one you have. It is unusual to have recurring problems with these cameras, you maybe just have one of the few bad ones. If I really liked shooting with it, I wouldn't let one bad one discourage me completely.

In general, not to Dr. Pain since he did get his FE serviced:

I have accumulated a lot of these from the FM/FE family as well as an F2 and F3. I have spent the money for a professional overhaul for all of them, I just include that in my expected expenditure when I buy one. I wouldn't expect a 30 year old car to run at it's prime without having spent money for oil changes and tune-ups, why should I expect my camera to just work indefinitely? I have a EX condition FG coming from KEH right now. If I really like it and decide to keep it, It will also get an overhaul. I've had very good luck with KEH repair (more expensive) and Garry's Camera Repair (much less expensive). Great turn-around and good quality of work from both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Garry for just about all my CLA's he does a fantastic job for a reasonable price.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I do the complete opposite with my FE -- I leave the motor on at all times. The MD-11/12 seems much more fickle to get set up than are the later MD-4s. So I opt for getting it set up correctly and not having to fiddle wiht it again. The only reason I might take the MD-11 off of my FE would be to replace it with a MD-12. The battery drain is a real issue and I'm just not as disciplined as I should be with regard to turning the switch of 'off'. If only it wore out the MD batteries, but it wears out the meter batteries at the same time. Those once were found at every corner drugstore but not any longer.

Re: parts availability... I wouldn't worry about that. The are so old and inexpensive and plentiful that they may as well be considered "throw-away". That breaks my heart, but it is what it is.
    I've never had issues with the md 12s I have, maybe I'm lucky but I've seen a lot of bodies and the ones I end up fixing wind problems on had a md on them.
    What you do once you get a body is up to you, I was just sharing a tip on getting a body that has less film mileage on it. or I should say less winder mileage, I've seen people put the md on and play with the body with no film.
    I have some pristine cameras that I baby. what can I say. I have everday users too.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
    I think I would keep an eye out for a different, good condition FE and have it overhauled rather than putting more money into the one you have. It is unusual to have recurring problems with these cameras, you maybe just have one of the few bad ones. If I really liked shooting with it, I wouldn't let one bad one discourage me completely.
    See, that's the thing. It was in excellent condition when I got it, almost no wear. Then it started having these damn problems and I got very discouraged. To be honest, I'm considering replacing it with an FM sometime, but not right now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    I've never had issues with the md 12s I have, maybe I'm lucky but I've seen a lot of bodies and the ones I end up fixing wind problems on had a md on them.
    What you do once you get a body is up to you, I was just sharing a tip on getting a body that has less film mileage on it. or I should say less winder mileage, I've seen people put the md on and play with the body with no film.
    I have some pristine cameras that I baby. what can I say. I have everday users too.
    Ummm, OK. I was just sharing my experience too. It is interesting to hear that your experience differs. Now the OP (and "SafetyBob") knows both sides of the coin. We work well together.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you needs parts for your FE I might be able to help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin