Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,940   Online: 934

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    In terms of using the focus indicator, it does not work in practice because you can't see the focus site and the indicator at the same time. By the time you take your eye away from the focus spot to see if the indicator is lighting up or not, the subject has moved. The screen is too small to really manual focus, so just let the camera do it.

The N75 is just too plasticky and feature-light compared to the not-much-better N80. Won't meter with manual lenses. Crappy mirror prism, too. Still think the F100, N90s/F90x are best all-rounders for the $.
    The focusing comments above are identical for F100 (which is also covered in plastic). In Auto focus the N75 focuses faster. To make a comparison based on $; you can get ten N75s for the price of a F100.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes but the N75 has a maxiumum shutter speed of 1/2000.
    For some of us fast shutter speed is a very intrinsic factor of our shooting style.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stavrosk View Post
    Yes but the N75 has a maxiumum shutter speed of 1/2000.
    For some of us fast shutter speed is a very intrinsic factor of our shooting style.
    Agree. Along with the truly awful F55, it was a low-end body. It took Nikon.ca a very long time to clear them even at give-away prices. The combination of lowish max shutter speed and a dim pentamirror finder didn't help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The manual focusing on my F6 is excellent, so if the other cameras are like that, good to go.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch View Post
    I had the F3, F4, F100, F90, FM, FE and F5. The F6 is the best camera Nikon has made.... and they're a bargain on ebay.

-Rob
    Oh ya' got me all excited! But then I checked eBay and they're still going for mostly way over a thou'. I'm sure that's a huge discount to when new but not quite the bargain I was hoping for....like F3 bodies for $150 that were $2000 when new....oh well. :-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    F3's are amazing bargains now and were great cameras. I think they had the longest production run of any Nikon pro camera (maybe any Nikon camera).

F80's, F90's, 8008's, and 6006's for $50 and less are also hard to beat. I've owned a fair percentage of the "good" Nikons and still have some, but usually grab the 6006 when I'm going out the door. I'd probably use my F80 if I had more autofocus lenses. All have way more features than I have any real interest in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crabtree View Post
    F3's are amazing bargains now and were great cameras. I think they had the longest production run of any Nikon pro camera (maybe any Nikon camera).

F80's, F90's, 8008's, and 6006's for $50 and less are also hard to beat. I've owned a fair percentage of the "good" Nikons and still have some, but usually grab the 6006 when I'm going out the door. I'd probably use my F80 if I had more autofocus lenses. All have way more features than I have any real interest in.
    I remember back when the F80s came out. I lived in Beijing at the time but got to Hong Kong to snag one. I liked it well enough but it was so cheap and plasticky feeling vs my FM2 and FE2 that since AF was not all that attractive to me I sold it off. Sold off all my Nikon gear not long after and went pure Contax with the G2 and RX, RTSII. Jumped back into Nikon again few years ago when I got a clean FM2 (the one with the honeycomb shutter) for a song and saw how cheap all the classic prime "F" glass from the 60's can be had for now. Such awesome lenses for B&W work! Later got a beat up but perfectly working F3 for $150. That was my unattainable dream camera back in the early 80's. Still have the Contax's and their great Zeiss glass but love my two classic Nikons and sweet Nikkor glass all the same...
    -----------------------

Richard S.

My Photography Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Oh ya' got me all excited! But then I checked eBay and they're still going for mostly way over a thou'. I'm sure that's a huge discount to when new but not quite the bargain I was hoping for....like F3 bodies for $150 that were $2000 when new....oh well. :-)
    Don't get me wrong here. I was not expecting to see F6 bodies for one-fiddy. But if they we're as low as $500-600 I think I would have grabbed one. Hmmm, maybe in a year or three??
    Last edited by Richard Sintchak (rich815); 02-03-2012 at 01:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    -----------------------

Richard S.

My Photography Website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you like the FE, why not just find another good used one. I know I like mine well enough to have a backup "just" in case. I also love photographing just about anything with my old FA too (it has a backup also).

I got an nice F4S probably 4 years ago when I decided to get back into film. My first venture back into film after 20+ years of basically not photographing anything....boy did I notice the slow AF, but for the most part it worked well for me. Even got a AF teleconverter and routinely slap an old MF prime on it......focus in the ball park, then the autofocus seems to work better and faster for me that way.....I maybe fooling myself, but I sure like the fact I can autofocus my old MF lenses using a teleconverter with autofocus....I have much less difficulty taking pictures of small kids moving around.

Finally, please tell us who worked on your camera twice and couldn't fix it......I can't believe that a big repair facility wouldn't stand behind their work.

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    F-100, according to your prioridades. I still like my FM, FE, F, F2, F3, F4
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin