Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,258   Online: 1084

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Canon FD 24mm F2.8, SSC vs New FD

Any thoughts on the comparison of the heavier F2.8 SSC vs the newer plastic model? I'm looking to add one. Thanks
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well Wayne, they are optically identical and both multi-coated the old breech lock one takes 55mm filters the new version 52mm, the new bayonet ones with the polymer barrels are as you mention much lighter, which I understand is why Canon changed to this material and you will appreciate if you have to carry a bag full of them, the bayonet mount is much quicker to change lenses and they are by no means inferior to the breech lock models I've been using them for more than twenty years and have never had any problems with them.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I have an odd chrome front 24/2.8 FD SSC. I find it to be quite good. The problem is that most of the early 24/2.8s now have separation in the rear element group. Mine was expertly repaired by Ken Ruth at Photography On Bald Mountain. I have not used the later 24/2.8 New FD. Canon experts seem to think that Canon's best 24 was the f/2 New FD. Most like it more than the even more expensive 24/1.4 (new or old version). The original FD SSC was Canon's first floating element design and any time you have a floating element lens you have to make sure the floating element section is lubricated properly.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The breechlock ones with rear element separation seem to be the ones with the little circle in the Auto position instead of the "A". SO I almost wouldn't buy one of those older ones at this point, since they seem doomed to all separate eventually. But the slightly newer breechlock one with the "A" is a great performer. I used one as my standard lens for years until I scored a 24/1.4 Aspherical cheap enough to make the switch.

Duncan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin