Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,611   Online: 931

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Looking for a new Canon (maybe)

My Current AE-1 program that I have used for 6ish years (it's been in the family much longer) maybe non-functional, I'll need to pop in a new battery to test it. I have a small collection of FD lenses; 28mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 75-200/4.5, and a 2x converter. It would only make sense to get another FD mount Canon. I guess what I'm trying to get at is do I go for a nice, quality AE-1 series again, or a slightly less quality higher end SLR?

It should be noted that I'm a 22 year old dishwasher, needless to say the words "disposable" and "income" generally don't occupy the same sentence.
    Last edited by cheeseds; 02-03-2012 at 04:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "A"series cameras are a dime-a-dozen so you can choose between an AE-1, AT-1, A-1, AV-1 and probably a few more. If you like your AE-1 Program you'll probably like the A-1 more. Or you can try one of the "T" series cameras. Maybe a T-70 or T-90.

Or you can go manual and really enjoy photography with an FTb or F-1. Built the old fashioned way and, outside of a meter, don't need batteries. You can pound nails with them too.

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ^+1^

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Mackinaw, Thanks for the suggestions, any of the A series fall well within my price range and an FTb being at the upper end with the F-1 being a pipe dream at the moment. I just need to get a couple more paychecks in before I make a decision.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseds View Post
    My Current AE-1 program that I have used for 6ish years (it's been in the family much longer) maybe non-functional, I'll need to pop in a new battery to test it. I have a small collection of FD lenses; 28mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 75-200/4.5, and a 2x converter. It would only make sense to get another FD mount Canon. I guess what I'm trying to get at is do I go for a nice, quality AE-1 series again, or a slightly less quality higher end SLR?

It should be noted that I'm a 22 year old dishwasher, needless to say the words "disposable" and "income" generally don't occupy the same sentence.

I can assimilate to the life of a dishwasher: it was my first job at night at a Freemasons Hospital (I was instructed to behave according to the mores and values of Freemasonry!) while studying uni!

"...a slightly less quality higher-end SLR?" Perhaps have a look at the uber-reliable T90 which will keep you amused for years if it has been well looked after. Takes FD lenses and still a modern, respected design picked up by the later EOS 1- (non-FD) series and refined.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Cheeseds, the A-1 is a very nice upgrade coming from the AE-1. I went that route some time ago. Just make sure that you get a body without the typical "mirror-cough", so that you don't need to spend extra money on a CLA.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    35mm
    As an owner of all the A-Series and two of the T-Series and bearing in mind your budget, I'd opt for an AV-1 or a T70. The A-1 is a nice camera but many (most?) seem to have the cough which will cost to have fixed. They're also fairly pricey at present. The T-90 is also a good camera but won't be cheap and has its own issues (EE warning and dying LCDs). The FTb is fine if you like metal bodied cameras but the original battery system is defunct.

I shot dozen of rolls last summer in a pair of AV-1 cameras and they never missed a beat, I don't remember exactly what I paid, probably £20-25 with FD 50mm 1.8. in near mint condition. The black version is rarer but pretty. The T-70 is good if you like automation but the film advance is slow and noisy and the camera ugly, but it is astonishingly cheap in the current market and does have a kind of 80s chic. Or you could hunt down another AE-1 if you like shutter priority.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might want to take a look at the EF ( manual, shutter priority )
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_camera
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm
    Where are you cheeseds. I have an AV1 looking for a new home. This camera was in regular use until my elderly aunt (the owner) passed away three years ago.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had Canon 7S and a fixed lens rangefinder but had really used much Canon in the way of SLRw. But I was attacted to the inexpensive FD lens and bought a T90, couple of hundred U.S $, it is a great camera. I have not used the T 70 but they also appear in good supply and at a good price. Downside not many parts for repairs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin