Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,894   Online: 1139

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: EOS 1V?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Canon EOS shooter here.

The 85L II is ideal for portraits and costs about the same more or less as the 50L, it's my weapon of choice on my 5d.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S / 90 3.8 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / 5D d*****l / L lenses

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, for outdoor portraits, the 1V makes some sense, as does an also-sealed lens like the 50mm 1.2L. I prefer my Maxxum 9 for working faces with shallow depth of field (due to it's fastest-ever top shutter speed) but I haven't invested in great Minolta/Sony glass yet to say if there's a competitor out there. I hope to someday win the lottery and pop for the Sony 24-70mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss Vario Sonnar T Zoom, but until then I'll keep looking for those hidden gems Minolta seems to have made a ton of.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    While the weather sealing of the 1V is superior the sealing of the 3 and 1N are said to be equal.
    Once I carried the 3 a whole day under my rain jacket while hiking in pouring rain through torres del paine. The top deck LCD was nearly invisible due to internal condensation but the camera worked flawless.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, so I've got a 1V (without grip) and a 50mm f/1.2L for the weekend!

First impressions compared to my F100's, before I run any rolls through it:

-Robust. I was surprised how much heavier it is compared to the seemingly light F100. The camera and lens are like shooting the D700 and 24 or 35 f/1.4G heavy. Balance is surprisingly good though, much better than the F100 with either of those lenses by a long shot. It feels like a serious camera, and you can easily tell it can shoot in just about any environment on this planet with grace == 1V by a long shot.

-Nice Grip. Fits alright, not perfect. It's comfy when i get my death grip on, but the F100 is a little more rounded. The shutter release is a little easier on the F100 with my long fingers and the back right corner digs in my palm a little. ==F100

-Loud. Obviously, it shoots 10fps, it feels and sounds more serious. I like this. Alot! ==1V

-Jenky control scheme. Whoever designed the control layout and AF selection method is an idiot. I can change the shooting mode, metering, and AF drive without taking the camera away from my eye on the F100. These are all things you have to stop what you're doing to change on the 1V. ==F100..by a long shot.

-Big viewfinder. 100%, brighter, clearer, sharper. ==1V

-Awesome AF. But the selection method is catastrophic. Whoever thought the wheels were a good idea vs. a joystick is an idiot. But despite this bonehead decision, the AF system on this thing is a total rockstar. Faster, more accurate, and better area. ==1V

-Custom functions galore. The 1V really needs an LCD on it like the F6, there's a TON of customization options and the function numbers are cryptic. Silly things like mirror lockup shouldn't be C. Fn. 12....it should be part of the drive switch. "Personal" functions shouldn't be locked out to the EOS software whatever thing that's an extra $God-knows-what. ==1V

This thing is pretty impressive. It looks impressive, it feels impressive, it sounds impressive, there's not alot on it that's not impressive. I cannot wait until this weekend when I can run some Ektar 100 and 400H though it.. I want to see what a 50mm f/1.2 will do wide open...That will be the ultimate deciding factor when it comes down to it. Even though there are some things that I don't like/different..they are things that just need adjusting to. I compared it to a Nikon F6 with the 50mm f/1.4G on it today too, and it wasn't even a contest. The EOS 1V felt much more robust and meant for professional use. the F6 felt more refined and precise, but also more fragile. The 50mm f/1.4G feels like a toy compared to the 50L.

I've shot just about nothing but Nikon for over 6 years, so this is a little uncomfortable, but if the film looks amazing than...well, we'll see when that day comes.

I'll keep posting when I make more observations compared to the Nikon system..

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey, let's not go too far, the F5 and F6 are *serious* cameras that will give any 1V a run for it's money - and this is coming from a 1V owner. :-)

Yours have a PB on it btw?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F5 is a tank..but I don't really like big bodies with grips. Pro Photo rents out the 1V with the grip but they were able to find the normal grip for me. I'm not shooting sports with it, and I find it without the grip more comfortable anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alright, so today was the day of shooting!

Brought the 1V/50L (of course) and the F100/50G on it. It was middle of the day, typical gray pacific northwest overcast. Shooting mostly pictures of my friend shooting too. She took some with the camera too and liked it alot Shot everything on Kodak Ektar 100

Aside from what I already mentioned, the heft, speed, big viewfinder, etc... there were three things that I noticed right off the bat:

-In the daylight conditions, the AF on the 1V is awesome. Between the F100 and the 1V, the 1V was more decisive (Especially with the center point), and overall quicker.

-Exposure compensation done in Av mode does not translate to Manual. Didn't see this until about a half hour ago. One roll is shot at ISO 50, the others at 100. I'm pretty ticked about that, and the worst part it's my own damn fault. On the Nikon system if you dial in +1ev compensation, than it will also apply it to your manual mode. You're setting +1 after all, even after you've loaded in a new roll, or two, or three, and so on.. Not the case on Canon's..and I have no idea why. So to combat this, I set my ISO manually to 50 so that my +1ev would affect both manual and Av. Well after that roll when I put a new one in, the ISO reverted back to 100 and I didn't catch that.

-Spot metering only works on the center focus point. Why? I wasn't sure until I RTFM (lol, what a concept!) and found that it's that way by defualt. Reason is: You have 45 focus points, but only 21 metering zones. Now i'm used to the Nikon system where they've had over 1,000 zones for the past 15 years. and figured, well hell if it's spot, it will be on the focus point. Not on the 1V.. there are more than twice as many focus points than metering areas. You can have about 11 spot metering areas max. Bummer.

SO...

After shooting with it on a not-so-serious subject, I've found:

-I like how it feels in the hands when working, I like the perkiness of the AF, I like the 50L, you can really tell it destroys out the backgrounds, I like how quiet it rewinds and loads film.
    -I do not like the AF system ergonomics, the way it treats exposure compensation, and the limited spot metering.

It may sound grim, but I really do enjoy using the camera, ALOT.
    There's a sense of excitement and confidence with the 1V I don't quite get with my F100's. The beef I have with it is relatively small and really I just need some adjusting if I plan on shooting Canon more often. Bottom line is going to be in the scans.

Since I screwed up in more ways than one while shooting today (what's new?), i'll drop them off locally. The scans won't be super, but I'd hate to spend almost $100 shipping out to RPL on film that's mostly focus and bokeh tests. I should be posting them up sometime by the end of the week with my findings!

Till next time..

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by F/1.4 View Post
    -Exposure compensation done in Av mode does not translate to Manual. Didn't see this until about a half hour ago. One roll is shot at ISO 50, the others at 100. I'm pretty ticked about that, and the worst part it's my own damn fault. On the Nikon system if you dial in +1ev compensation, than it will also apply it to your manual mode. You're setting +1 after all, even after you've loaded in a new roll, or two, or three, and so on.. Not the case on Canon's..and I have no idea why. So to combat this, I set my ISO manually to 50 so that my +1ev would affect both manual and Av. Well after that roll when I put a new one in, the ISO reverted back to 100 and I didn't catch that.
    For me thats what I expect: exposure compensation affects the automatic metering, not the manual (shot yesterday with my P645N and found out that the pentax does...). Otherwise it would just duplicate the sensitivity setting.
    I'm sure there is a custom function to disable the sensitivity setting via DX - once you set the ISO it stays forever.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're right about the C. Fn. That's what i'll do in the future.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So I got the film back yesterday, and as I expected the scans were not that great, and the lab didn't do what I asked, but whatever.. Aside from that, I'd say it was pretty inconclusive at this point. When I saw the scans, my stomach just turned..

Alot of the Canon shots were out of focus, either slightly or in some cases completely. Always behind the subject, except for one instance.

On pictures where I shot the Canon and Nikon side-by-side, the difference in background rendering was either extremely similar, or impossible to detect. I can't base color, the scans varied so much from frame to frame, it would be useless. Mind you, the Canon was always at f/1.2, the Nikon at f/1.4.

I'll be renting it again soon to shoot another couple rolls and send them down south to RPL. If half the roll is out of focus again, than i'll be sticking to Nikon. There's nothing more frustrating than spending $200 on rentals, film, developing, and scanning, only for 1/3rd-1/2 of the shots (depending on the roll) to be out of focus. I'm still pretty pissed off about that.

Here's a comparison i'm talking about. Aside from the labels, lousy color, and the misfocus on the Canon, in practical terms they look identical.

And this seemed to be par for the course with the Canon, just slightly misfocused.....

I really want to like the Canon, I really do.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin