Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,894   Online: 1159

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: EOS 1V?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    Another vote for an F5...
    Too big, and when you axe off the vertical grip, what are you left with? The F100, which i've already got 2 of.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by F/1.4 View Post
    Too big, and when you axe off the vertical grip, what are you left with? The F100, which i've already got 2 of.
    Easiest solution: Use what you got.

There are actually not many Canon lenses that one would consider "magic." They're all quite good, but only a few breathe character in addition to being optically great. The 50mm series is not one of those lenses.

Since you want to shoot at 50mm, and you already have an equivalent 50mm, use the F100 and just get on with producing output.

Note: this reply does not hold for the 85mm f/1.2, nor does it hold for Zeiss 50s :-)
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    As I said earlier, I have the EF 50/1.4. It's a decent lens. Crummy build - it's the only lens I own which I will actually complain about the build quality. Be careful of bumping the front of the lens, or setting it down on the front - it can break the focus mechanism. It's a $100 fix. Other than that, it's lower contrast wide open, but not too bad. It seems accurate in it's focus.

I tried out the 24 L II for a weekend a couple weeks ago. Fantastic lens. My only issue with it was it's size, but that's coming from a rangefinder user. It's really not that big.

Shooter
    35mm
    You may be experiencing a "death of film" issue - without realizing it. The lens focuses close enough with film for most people, in most situations, and they never push it to its limit by making demanding use of f1.2. However, all current mid-upper level Canon digital cameras allow you to micro-adjust the focus on lenses. Canon simply doesn't care that the lens is a bit off on the 1V. The lens was designed and produced after the 1V went out of production.

Pop that baby on a 5DII and you'd be able to get the thing to focus on a gnat's eye. Sad but true.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    You may be experiencing a "death of film" issue - without realizing it. The lens focuses close enough with film for most people, in most situations, and they never push it to its limit by making demanding use of f1.2. However, all current mid-upper level Canon digital cameras allow you to micro-adjust the focus on lenses. Canon simply doesn't care that the lens is a bit off on the 1V. The lens was designed and produced after the 1V went out of production.

Pop that baby on a 5DII and you'd be able to get the thing to focus on a gnat's eye. Sad but true.
    But this is ONLY because the lens is screwed up. Not rocket science here - the lens projects an image that should be in focus on the film plane (whether the plane contains film, or a sensor).

The ability to "adjust" that after the fact is due to shoddy engineering and shouldn't normally be required. Nothing to do with the "death of film" unless you consider "crappy tolerances, and how to adjust your way out of them" to be the new age we should be looking forward to.

Nikkor 50 did quite well BTW.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have the 50 1.0?

Quote Originally Posted by F/1.4 View Post
    Well Clutch didn't have the 50L in stock for the weekend, so I thought i'd give it a rest for the next few days. Monday, depending on the weather, I'll see what's up. I might also rent the EF 50mm f/1.4 and 24 f/1.4L to take a look at those too.

It's really dissapointing that a $1500 L prime would do that. I even used the peripheral focus points so I wasn't focusing-and-recomposing. It seems to happen with just about all of them too if you're within 4 feet, which I am alot with my 50's. Now I understand that spherical abberations can cause shift, but the 50mm f/1.0 has a floating element to correct for that. So does the 85L. Like I said though, i'll take a look at the EF 50mm f/1.4 too. I like the camera, but the lens just wasn't there which is a shame.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit, under the knife for a bit
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 / Ektar 127
    RB67 Pro S / 50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When using the Canon EOS 1V and the 50 1.2L or the 85 1.2L you REALLY need the Canon Ec-S focusing screen, otherwise when shooting WIDE OPEN it is very hard to get 100% in focus shots every time.

Also you need to have the body and lens calibrated by Canon CPS. They can set the 50 1.2L to a 1V body. Since there are no back focus adjustments on the 1V you need to have CPS do this for you.

When you have the Ec-S focusing screen and a matched set the EOS 1V ROCKS !!

Hope this helps :-)

Thanks
    Scott Sheppard
    Inside Analog Photo
    http://www.insideanalogphoto.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    The EC-B focusing screen is also quite nice because it gives you a split-screen. I use it from time to time on mine. For what it's worth, I loved the 50 f/1.2L, but I didn't think it was entirely worth the $1k+ extra cost over the 50 1.4 so I "downgraded". Build quality aside, I don't regret this decision.

I think the 1V is a wonderful and powerful camera. I don't often use the PB-E2 booster drive, but I like to have it available for using larger lenses (which I ironically no longer own, so it doesn't see much use these days )
    - Abram

Mamiya 7II / Hasselblad 500CM

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin