Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,462   Online: 1121

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: EOS 1V?

Shooter
    Multi Format

EOS 1V?

So I've been primarily a Nikon shooter for years, but my D700 took big fall and insurance is paying out $2500 to fix it. Since I barely shoot digital anymore I was thinking this could be a good opportunity to expand my horizons..

I could get a used 1V with a new 50mm f/1.2L and still have change leftover. I figure if I don't like it, worst case scenario I'm out a few hundred. Reason I'm considering this is because when shooting in darker spaces/times, the 1.2 can let me shoot later in the day when doing portraits at sunset.

This would be used for professional portrait applications. Im curious if anyone here has used that combination and has anything to share on performance wide-open on color negative film. Also, I'm pretty accustomed to the metering on the F100, is the 1V much different?

Currently, for 35mm I've been using F100's with the 24, 35, and 50mm all f/1.4G versions.

Thanks for the input!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I haven't used the 1V with the 50L, though I've thought of getting one. As it is, I use the 1V with the 50/1.4 and the 28/1.8. Great setup. I borrowed the 24 L II from work and shot a couple rolls with the 1V and really dug that too.

The 50L sounds like a great lens. It's not that much faster than the 50/1.4 and barring minor differences in the lenses, should be about the same kind of shooting experience. I *think* the 50L is supposed to focus faster than the f/1.4 version, but I couldn't swear by that. The 50/1.4 is reasonable in terms of focus - it could be faster, but I've shot in relatively dark situations and been ok.

As far as metering, you get evaluative, which is pretty decent, and spot, partial, and center weighted metering. Partial is like a fat spot. Evaluative works pretty well in most situations, and when you need to think about what your are doing, spot will let you get whatever measurement you need. Don't know what the F100 offers, but the 1V is very flexible here. Also, with spot, you can take multiple measurements and the camera will average them (and display the readings on the scale in the left of the finder).

All in all, it's a fantastic camera. I would actually sell my two lenses and buy the 50L and 24L if I shot SLR more, but I sink all my time and camera money into my RF system instead.

Shooter
    35mm
    Worst case scenario you should get very close to your money back on a Canon L if you take care of it. Of course the "practical" choice is to go Nikon f1.2 and F5.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1V has very powerful metering and over-powered AF selection when in 40+ point mode (you won't use it trust me). This body won't present any issues for you.

As far as the 50L goes though, IMO very overpriced and nothing overly fancy vs the non-L 50. Don't waste your money on it.

Honestly you might be better off with an F1 and the FD mount 85 if you have no issue with manual focus.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Awesome! Thanks for the quick replies

My eyesight through viewfinders typically isn't great. My glasses are pretty darn thick and have a lot of CA at anything but the center. Otherwise MF would be no problem, but for me is almost impossible to be consistent.

I've used the canon 50mm 1.4 and wasn't too impressed compared to my Nikon 50G. AF on the EF 50 1.4 was inconsistent (could have been the body - 5D vs D700), and the Nikon 50 had much smoother bokeh.

I've heard the 50 1.2L is pretty much a rock star in the AF dept so long as you're using a newer version.

That's good to hear about the metering, I try to keep it simple, but I really like idea of averaging out spots..I didn't know it could do that!

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also, if you're worried about what lens purchase to make, I recommend first renting a lens from borrowlens (who I believe do ship) to try it out first.

I have actually used the 50L before, and like the 85L, the AF is not fast at all actually. In fact, the AF mode of both the 50L and 85L are what annoyed me the most about both of them (their fake fly-by-wire MF mode sucks too). However, the glass/images out of the 85/1.2 are completely awesome. 50 was a solid lens, just nothing that blew me away.

Back to the 1V though: great body, very easy and fast to load, motor drive is solid, pretty much a top-level pro body easily in the same class as any of the current Canon professional bodies (it just isn't digital, nor is it 5000$+).
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the IV is a heavy beast though, that should be noted.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The OP may also consider the EOS 1N instead of the 1V. Cheaper, easier to come by and equipped with all the bells and whistles that one could ever need. The 1N is also slightly less heavy. Both are tanks.

Compared to the F100 the EOS 1N gains MLU and a built-in viewfinder shutter, both of which are very useful to me. YMMV!

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    If you want to save a few bucks consider the EOS 3 as well. It has nearly all features of the 1V but is significantly cheaper. It could be a bit more quiet though.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For a portrait system, why not a Contax 645 with the 80/2 Planar?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin