Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,811   Online: 868

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eurekaiv View Post
    Another recommendation here. This is among my most used lens. Very versatile.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just comfort myself with my simple Nikon Nikkor 18-35 AF ED
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jochen View Post
    Hello,
    the AF 2,8/20 - 35 D mm Zoom Nikkor is an excellent lens, a little bit large, but lighter and smaller and cheaper than the 2,8/17 - 35 mm which is even a little bit better. It is a professional lens made mainly from metal and not plastic. You can focus it manually quite well. Unfortunately it has no coupling for the exposure meter of your Nikon F or Nikkormat Ftn. This could be your biggest problem for all other more modern zooms from other manufactureres. Really good extreme wide angle zooms were offered only in the Autofocus era.
    Can AF lenses be fitted with AI/AIS aperture setting ears? I am sure John White, aiconversions.com, would know and would do the work if it is possible. I also immediately thought of the 20-25mm lens as a solution: I know many people who used them on manual focus cameras such as the F3.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry, technical difficulties above.

Quote Originally Posted by macrorie View Post
    Can AF lenses be fitted with AI/AIS aperture setting ears?
    Yes, quite easily, once you acquire the two tiny screws and prong. AF lenses, at least those with an aperture ring, have two very small indentations (just left of f4 and f8) to mark the precise location of where holes should be drilled in order to affix screws through a metering prong. I can't recall bit size. The aperture rings are plastic so I don't feel it's imperative to tap the holes. Not tapping has not posed problems.

For those that have a Dremel with an appropriately tiny bit, it's straight forward. No need to remove the aperture ring from the lens. For those that don't have a Dremel or the ultra-tiny bit, take one of the screws and lens to a reputable watch repair shop and pay them the nominal fee to drill two holes, radially. They'll need the screw to ascertain bit-size. Before mounting the prong, place a very, very small droplet of Loctite on/in the holes and then tighten the screws. Here's a 17-35 f2.8 AF-S ready to serve the F2SB.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 17_35 2.8.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for your input, everyone!

I thought if Sigma managed to release their first super-wide zoom as early as 1981, then there could have been many other zooms with similar focal length before Nikon finally released their first super-wide in 1993, but things didn't go so easily it seems. Maybe I should alter my plan by going back to the original idea of using an AF Nikkor with my old Nikons. And with its constant aperture, the Nikkor 20-35/2.8 can be used much more comfortably compared to those with variable aperture at least... I usually use an incident light meter or just estimating light myself and am very good at it, but with variable aperture zooms, as there's no way to know the exact F-number corresponding to each focal length, I totally need to depend on the internal light meter, do I?

I had some very bad experiences using AF zooms (standard zooms) with manual focus use (mainly with their short focusing throw), and am now wondering if the focusing throw of the 20-35/2.8 is capable enough for manual focus use. It seems some of you are using the 20-35 Nikkor here, and I'd really appreciate your opinion.

LunoLuno

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've used the 20-35mm Nikon zoom, but the fixed 20mm 2.8 is much better. Also beware of "barrel & pin-cushion distortion" with some wide angle zooms. I personaly would advise fixed focal lengths when going that wide. The wide angle zooms with a fixed 2.8 aperture tend to be very heavy, whereas the 20mm 2.8 is light and compact. The 3.5 20mm manual Nikon version is even smaller and lighter.

Shooter
    35mm
    The widest I have in manual focus are 24mm lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Sigma 15-30mm Ex aspherical IF can be used manually. Mine is a Pentax mount but I presume they made one with Nikon mount too. It's incredibly sharp, solid, no bad habits and not that expensive now. I think I paid about $350 Australian.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lesm View Post
    The Sigma 15-30mm Ex aspherical IF can be used manually. Mine is a Pentax mount but I presume they made one with Nikon mount too. It's incredibly sharp, solid, no bad habits and not that expensive now. I think I paid about $350 Australian.

Bear in mind Sigma lenses, to my recollection, focus to infinity in the opposite direction to Nikon ones, which can be a bit distracting if you're using both together.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin