Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,086   Online: 1018

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format

Look at Older Tokina lenses, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Aja B View Post
    I'm not aware of any MF, superwide zoom. The better superwide zooms arrived after AF was firmly established. I use the Nikon 17-35/2.8 with a metering prong on various pre-AI bodies and would recommend the same. How soon might it be before you gravitate toward wanting an AF superwide? Two birds, one stone.
    While this is true for Nikon, as they came late to this, it is not true for Canon.
    So, your statement of The better superwide zooms arrived after AF was firmly established,
    is only partially accurate. Canon's FD 24 - 35 mm f 2.8 L lens being the first.
    I know that it's not adaptable to the Nikon, but I wanted to straighten the record.

As far as MF only Wide Angle zooms, the old ones may not be up to current sharpness
    standards, but since the Nikon can mount any Non-G mount lenses, why worry if it's AF,
    or not. I hope that you are using an AI, or later camera, then NO Worries.

Look at Older Tokina lenses, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with the recommendations on the 20-35/2.8D ED and the 17-35/2.8D ED.

Bear in mind that if you don't fit the meter coupling shoe, you can still meter in stop-down mode with non-AI bodies.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanishing Point Ent. View Post
    While this is true for Nikon, as they came late to this, it is not true for Canon. So, your statement of 'The better superwide zooms arrived after AF was firmly established', is only partially accurate. Canon's FD 24 - 35 mm f 2.8 L lens being the first. I know that it's not adaptable to the Nikon, but I wanted to straighten the record.
    I feel my statement is entirely accurate. I appreciate your concern for clarity but most familiar with the vernacular (e.g. pro's/avid shooters) generally don't consider 24mm to be 'superwide'. The original request is for a 'super-wide zoom...looking for those which goes wider than 21mm'. In the loose but generally agreed-upon world of 35mm format, 24 is considered to be 'wide' whereas 21 and 20 (to 17mm or thereabouts) is considered 'superwide'. I'm not suggesting a hard and steadfast rule. No dogma here but if a distinction must be drawn...

I would also add that the highly regared Nikon 25-50mm f4 AI (1979) or AIS would merit strong consideration...except that it's not superwide. Probably released at about the same time as the Canon lens you mentioned.

I know of a Canon FD 24-35/f3.5 L but not a f2.8 version...though I don't know Canon very well.

I hope that you are using an AI, or later camera, then NO Worries.
    Both the Nikon F and Nikomat FTn are pre-AI, hence the need for the all-important metering prong on the lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    I hope that you are using an AI, or later camera, then NO Worries.
    I do have (and did have) AI Nikon bodies actually, but I don't use them at all. I use the F and the Nikomat exclusively because I really like them. I believe there're many people out there who's like me.

I don't get the point why you recommend an Ai body. Any Nikkor lens with an aperture ring can fit on a pre-Ai body, so where's the necessity of abondoning old Nikons that I really like and switching to newer Ai bodies, anyway? On the other hand, an Ai body cant accept pre-Ai lenses. So, if you recommend an pre-Ai body, and then say No Warries, I can understand that, but with an Ai body some worries does manifest, actually.....

Regarding coupling prong, it's not a big issue for me. Of course I'd welcome if there's a prong on the aperture ring (or capability of attaching the prong), but not having constant aperture is way more troublesome than not having a coupling prong for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin