Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,894   Posts: 1,520,884   Online: 1057

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Super-wide manual focus zoom for Nikon, any recommendation?

I'm thinking of adding a super-wide zoom to my Nikon F-mount system (Nikon F & Nikomat FTn). This idea didn't occured to me until I realized there were some third party manual focus super-wide zooms like Sigma 21-35mm F3.5-4.0 (or F3.5-4.2). I had long thought I had to select from AF zooms if I want a super-wide zoom for my MF Nikon bodies. Now I'm wondering if there's any other manual focus super-wide zoom other than the Sigams. Is there any other decent manual focus super-wide zoom? Are they worth looking for, or should I just stick to using primes for my old Nikons? I know AF zooms can be used with MF Nikons as long as they have aperture rings, but I'm looking for a manual focus zoom this time, and I'm looking for those which goes wider than 21mm.

Thanks in advance!

LunoLuno

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All I can think of is get a Leica 21-35mm and a mount conversion kit.

+
    The lens is supposed to be one of the best, if not the absolute best, of its kind.

-
    $$$$$$.
    You have a completely manual diaphragm.
    You need to change the mount (or have it changed - reversible if you want to resell later).
    21mm might not be "wider than 21mm".... But then some "20mm" FLs might actually be longer (many manufacturers declare optimistic figures).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not aware of any MF, superwide zoom. The better superwide zooms arrived after AF was firmly established. I use the Nikon 17-35/2.8 with a metering prong on various pre-AI bodies and would recommend the same. How soon might it be before you gravitate toward wanting an AF superwide? Two birds, one stone.

Shooter
    35mm
    Edit: sorry... AF lens.

Nikon 20-35 2.8 D?

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/afd2035.jpg
    Sometimes I post my photos on flickr.
    Sometimes I update my tumblr.

Shooter
    35mm
    An AF lens that is super wide...Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM, perhaps?
    Cheryle

He is!
    ><>

WTB: Tokina AT-X 90 f2.5 macro (Bokina) Nikon Mount OR Kiron (Lester A Dine) 105 f2.8 macro Nikon Mount

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Samyang 18-28 f4-4.5. MF only.
    Great lens, usually either very inexpensive unless the seller does their research.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think there is a 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 model, in manual focus mount, with the Vivitar Series 1 label on it. Not sure when it was made but I remember seeing it in camera magazine dealer ads.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The widest I have in manual focus are 24mm lenses, ultimately anything wider than that and you dont have to worry to much about focusing as much of everything is already in focus with a very short throw.

I have a Tokina 19-35 3.5-4.5 AF, it's in a ton of mounts. It is a good performer and super inexpensive. I got mine for about $35 as a rebranded quantaray(ritz) model. It goes for about $70 on the bay as the tokina model. There are a ton of reviews about it online.

The other superwide I have is the Sigma 14mm 3.5 AF. It is a bit slower than the newer 2.8 model, but its not a big deal. You have to cut your own filters and slot them in the back. It is a rectilinear and one of the widest you can get. It goes for about $200 on the bay.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    All I can think of is get a Leica 21-35mm and a mount conversion kit.

+
    The lens is supposed to be one of the best, if not the absolute best, of its kind.

-
    $$$$$$.
    You have a completely manual diaphragm.
    You need to change the mount (or have it changed - reversible if you want to resell later).
    21mm might not be "wider than 21mm".... But then some "20mm" FLs might actually be longer (many manufacturers declare optimistic figures).
    Sorry for my bad English. By "wide than 21mm" I meant 21mm is included, so 21-35mm focal length is perfectly OK for me. I sometimes heard about good reputations about the Vario-Elmar, but non-auto diaphram is kind of a problem I suppose..... But thanks anyway, the idea of adapting a Leica lens with a mount conversion kit had never occured to me before asking in here.

It seems I don't have much choice if I stick to the manual focus zooms. I believe those 19-35/3.5-4.5 from Tokina and Vivitar are both Cosina made, am I correct? And Cosina itself once made MF 19-35/3.5-4.5, but many reviews claim the sample from Cosina is somehow not as good as Tokina's. Many say it's kind of hit or miss.....

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    the AF 2,8/20 - 35 D mm Zoom Nikkor is an excellent lens, a little bit large, but lighter and smaller and cheaper than the 2,8/17 - 35 mm which is even a little bit better. It is a professional lens made mainly from metal and not plastic. You can focus it manually quite well. Unfortunately it has no coupling for the exposure meter of your Nikon F or Nikkormat Ftn. This could be your biggest problem for all other more modern zooms from other manufactureres. Really good extreme wide angle zooms were offered only in the Autofocus era.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin