Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,554   Online: 1059

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon F55 Should I or shouldn't I?

I've been looking for a cheap way into Nikon cameras for a while. At £179.00 new, I can now afford a Nikon F55 with a 28-100mm AF lens.

Should I go for it? Are there any problems etc I should look out for? Any advice from experienced Nikon owners would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've bought 2 for presents in the last year, they are really good IMHO
    You can get them even cheaper than that. About £150 in Warehouse Express.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Fintan. The only thing making me unsure is the 'polycarbonate' lens mount. I would prefer metal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Howdy,

I know over the years that I worked in photo stores, there was concerned express over the poly lens mounts, and I even had concern about a Minolta with a poly mount that I purchased for my wife, but in many years of using it and working with customers who purchased the cameras with the poly lens mounts, I have never seen one fail, I imagine it could be damaged easier than a metal one, I have just never seen it happen.

Dave Parker
    Satin Snow(TM) Ground Glass

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I borrowed a friend's F55 for a day a while back. It wasn't my cup of tea as it is very light compared to my OM and I like my cameras to have a bit of weight, but it done the job. I don't have much expereince with autofocus but it seemed quick enough in daylight conditions. One thing I was less sure about was the controls in full manual mode, I found them less intuitive than the EOS300V I tried at the same time. I'm sure i'd have got used to it over time but, at the end of the day, I decided to stick with my Olympus for now.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A major problem is that you can't manually set the film speed. This will make shooting black and white a real pain. I would look for a used N/F80 instead, which is the cheapest AF Nikon with user settable film speed. I have a N80 and I can also say it is a very nice camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The things to look for, as in my opinion they are important depth of field preview, manual overrride of filmspeed, manual exposure programme and manual focussing.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I currently have all those in my Praktica BX20 and my Olympus OM10...

However I wish to move on to Nikon, for the great lenses. They now have an entry level camera I can afford, the F55, however having read more about it I am now not so sure, for example it has no cable release socket, instead it has a little 'remote', this is getting too 'gizmo-ish' for me.

So I shall revise my question. What is the lowest priced/most readily available Nikon camera which has fully manual options for everything? ie, focus, speed, ISO, wind and rewind? DOF preview is not so important as I can calculate that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I misread that you are going to use it. I think you would find this basic, you have to remember that this is Nikons entry level SLR and for beginners to photography. I think you should look at the second hand market for a higher spec nikon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    I currently have all those in my Praktica BX20 and my Olympus OM10...

However I wish to move on to Nikon, for the great lenses. They now have an entry level camera I can afford, the F55, however having read more about it I am now not so sure, for example it has no cable release socket, instead it has a little 'remote', this is getting too 'gizmo-ish' for me.

So I shall revise my question. What is the lowest priced/most readily available Nikon camera which has fully manual options for everything? ie, focus, speed, ISO, wind and rewind? DOF preview is not so important as I can calculate that.
    New, I think the lowest priced camera that meets your listed requirments is the FM10 (all manual). If you also want autofocus then you need to go to at least the N80.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin