Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,551   Online: 945

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Minolta MAXXUM 5. Its actually packed with features. I wish its in black though, one day I might paint mine.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DaveO,
    Just sold my Rollei 35. Want/need AF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another vote for the Maxxum 5 - should be able to get one cheap too

Shooter
    127 Format
    I bought my wife a Minolta Maxxum auto-everything camera in the late 1990s. It had tremendous shutter lag and missed the focus more than half the time. I don't remember the model but I think it was 450 or 550... (we sold it a few years later since she was so disappointed she neglected to use it)

It was compact enough (certainly not OM1 size but fair enough).

If I were looking I would want something that focuses better than that Minolta.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    AF on the 5 is excellent, though the in-body motor is not the gruntiest so it's slow with huge lenses (like my 100-300 f/4) attached. It's not in Dynax 7/9 or Nikon F6 territory but you don't have to carry 10 pounds of magnesium and a small nuclear reactor to power it either.

Asserting that Minolta AF is all crap because the base-model thing you bought was, is specious. Nikon AF must be crap too because my old FT really can't hack it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote for the Nikon N55. Pair it up with a 50mm f/1.8 and you're golden.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post

(A 7 is not small! It's twice the size of a 5)
    Oops. Thats right. I forgot a prime #.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Contax may do it for you unless you use long lenses. With it's autofocus you're using the viewfinder only for composition, same as the Nikon.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry M View Post
    I'm looking for a compact 35mm, full frame slr with auto focus. Comparable to OM-? bodies. Was there anything like this ever made? My vision is making it very difficult to use manual focus. I have an F100, but would like something considerably smaller. N80 seems too large. Rangefinder's won't work for me either. I've tried Bessa R2 & R2a. Not interested in P&S or Hexar AF. Any input is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Gerry
    N75

Shooter
    35mm
    The OP may be chasing rainbows. I wouldn't describe any of the cameras listed as compact (can't speak for the Pentax, haven't measured one). Many are light, especially with a 50mm instead of a kit zoom but compact? Certainly not OM1 style.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin