Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,227   Online: 817

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm
    I agree, there is nothing I know of that checks all the boxes Gerry described in his posts. Small non-AF-SLR sized AF SLR would be so popular that nobody would ever have to ask if there was a camera like that. Remove the SLR requirement and you get cameras like Contax G2 or Hexar. Remove the size requirement and you get all the Nxx/Maxxum/other options or Gerry's F100.
    There are some digital options that satisfy some of Gerry's requirements, but he came here for answers so it's a moot point.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Contax G2 = 139 x 80 x 45mm (no lens)

Pentax *ist = 122 x 84 x 63.5mm (no lens)

OM-1 = 136 x 83 x 81mm (w/50mm f/1.8 lens)

Minolta Maxxum 5 = 127 x 87 x 60.5mm (no lens)

The Pentax is AF and has a built-in flash and deeper flange distance for the mirror. The overall volume dimension comparison is very close.

Of course SLR lenses are larger. They are also available in AF and have greater versatility, especially zooms.

The Minolta Maxxum 5 is right there as well and probably easier to find. Other brands too.

If you want AF that means SLR which means you need to sacrifice the concept of compactness to get the necessary mirror box and prism space.
    Last edited by Aristophanes; 02-13-2012 at 10:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I owned the Maxxum 5000 and 7000 for a bit. The camera is hefty--I swear one could drive nails with it. The AF is OK at best, it seems to focus slowly and in low light, there's no hope. On the other hand, the standard 50mm is astoundingly good.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, it looks like I am going to have to admit that this is a witch hunt. The closest match to my wants is a Contax G2. I don't think I want to go that way. May have to drift away from analog to fill this need. Thanks to all for your input.
    Gerry

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry M View Post
    OK, it looks like I am going to have to admit that this is a witch hunt. The closest match to my wants is a Contax G2. I don't think I want to go that way. May have to drift away from analog to fill this need. Thanks to all for your input.
    Gerry
    You can get a relatively compact and really inexpensive AF film camera. I have used a Pentax MZ-6 ($20) and a Pentax DA 40/2.8 lens using Portra 400 @ ISO 800 and the whole package is pretty small because it's a pancake lens. The digital lens has a FF image circle with no discernible vignetting and works on AF film bodies and is smaller than most RF lenses. Consumer SLR's from the 1990's to 2004 were smallish and cheap and have very good AF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is the built in power winders that make the AF cameras larger.

My Canon Rebel 2000 (s) are very light and reasonably small, but certainly not as small as my Olympus OM cameras.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin