Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,322   Posts: 1,536,909   Online: 1104

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Compact 35mm slr with AF?

I'm looking for a compact 35mm, full frame slr with auto focus. Comparable to OM-? bodies. Was there anything like this ever made? My vision is making it very difficult to use manual focus. I have an F100, but would like something considerably smaller. N80 seems too large. Rangefinder's won't work for me either. I've tried Bessa R2 & R2a. Not interested in P&S or Hexar AF. Any input is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Gerry

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Pentax MZ-S or *ist were the smallest I have tried.

Minolta/Dynax 7 s another I found very small.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The entry-level Nikon AF bodies like the F55 were smallish and very light. Giveaway-priced now. Worth a look?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Gerry;

An alternate method to consider might be finding a Vivitar or Tamron Auto Focusing lens with a Nikon Mount to go onto one of your existing cameras. If you prefer another camera instead of the F100, the Tamron Adaptall-2 mounts will allow the Tamron Type 47A to go onto about 20 or so different camera mounts. The Ponder and Best guys had Vivitar lenses made for most cameras from the 1960s to the 1980s. The Vivitar AF lenses are not common, but they are out there. I have about 4 different Vivitar AF versions. No, they are not as fast at focusing as the modern DSLR AF lenses in low light, but if you can give them a little more time, they will get there.

I agree that this idea may not be for a small and lighter camera, but you will be using a camera you already have, you already know and are familiar with using, and the greater mass does help with holding the camera still when you take the photograph.

With one of my Minolta X-700 cameras set in "P" or Program mode, and the Tamron Type 47A zoom lens and an MD-1 Motor Drive on it, it is a really neat P&S 35mm film camera.

Yes, having eyes that have developed an excessive accumulation of years does make AF capability much more attractive.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    Nikon N75. Small, light, uses most modern features. Controls are a bit unique, but not bad, can get used to them. This isn't a professional build camera, but it seems sturdy enough and isn't all that old.

I like mine when I want light auto-focus.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Pentax ZX/MZ-series bodies except for the MZ-S, which is a bit larger and heavier.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...-5-zx-5-a.html

http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/bodies/film_MZ-ZX/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Minolta Dynax/Maxxum 5. About as small as you can make an AF SLR (too small for me to hold properly), plus it has all the modern features like wireless high-speed-sync flash and supports SSM/HSM lenses.

(A 7 is not small! It's twice the size of a 5)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to all for your input. I'm wondering if there is/was a higher end, compact AF body. ??? Maybe have to forgo the slr and consider a Contax G2?

Shooter
    35mm
    If you could forgo the AF, the Rollei 35S with Sonnar lens was one of the smallest film cameras. It is a focus that is an estimate though.

DaveO

Shooter
    35mm
    My Pentax PZ-20/Z-20 is only slightly larger than an ME Super. The ME Super was one of the smaller non-AF Pentax SLRs, as I recall. Next to the ME Super, the K-1000 and the LX were huge. The PZ-20/Z-20 is an AF SLR.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin