Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,653   Online: 811

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

The Werra lens hood

One of my cameras is a Werra and although this must be one of the most minimalist cameras ever designed, I think the most impressive part of its design is that it has the mother of all lens hoods. When screwed onto its 2.8 Tessar it looks like one of those cones dogs sometimes wear, to stop them scratching their ears. Is there another 35mm camera with a lens hood designed to cut out so much unwanted light?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Werra's lens hood is designed more to protect lens between picture taking then to block light in the front of the lens.
    I heard interesting story somewhere that whole Werra design team was formed from Zeiss engineers and technicians who returned to DDR/GDR from "work" in USSR in '50's, where they helped building soviet optical industry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All the Contaflexes
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have a Zeiss Ikon Contaflex, but I would not agree.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I know of no other camera that came with a lens hood like the Werra, which came as part of the standard package, I have 2 werras amongst my collection,and the lens hood was meant to protect the shiny lens unit, but the cap that screws onto the bottom of the hood was an optional extra on the Werra,
    Richard

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin