Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,745   Online: 914

Shooter
    Multi Format

Recaliibrate or Replace?

As I made mention in a related thread ("Your Latest 35mm purchase"), I recently picked up a pair of bargain grade F2 bodies from my favorite used camera store - KEH - with the intention of having a source of replacement parts should any ever be needed. One body was, true to its grading, suitable only for parts. The second, however, was, in my estimation, a definite candidate for refurbishment. I have already gone so far as to pick up a DE-1 finder for the body. One issue: the shutter. The thing looks to be in good shape - no wrinkles, no creases, etc. However, there seems, to this shooter's ears, no discernible difference in the sound the shutter makes irrespective of the setting chosen (i.e. 1/500th of a second sounds the same, and moves the same, as 1/2 a second!). Is it possible that the shutter could be this far out of whack, or is it more likely that the mechanism is toast? My experience with F2 shutters in the past has been that the top speeds (1/2000th and 1/1000th loose their accuracy in fairly short order. As the camera ages, typically the slower speeds (generally 1/15th down) tend to go out of whack. Any thoughts ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F2 is a great camera I would go for a recalibration.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Neither. Just get it repaired.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Try Watching the shutter with no lens and back, hold it towards a bright light.

If you do not se any changes in speeds, have the camera CLA'ed the timing mech is just locked up not a expensive fix.

I managed to Fix my Beater F3 with a AS-Is $29 F3-> I just moved the ASA dial and the missing exposure lock knob, across. I am just waiting for my Bgn $10 Prisim to arrive so I can make a good one (Mine has a cloudy Vew Finder)

KEH Bargin and AS-IS items are (So Far) a great parts supply..........Sometimes you even get a BIG supprise like a mint FE with bad foam for $12

Johnkpap

PS- Get a copy of......Nikon Repair Book by Tomas Tomosy:- Fixed alot of cameras with his books

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think on those the slow speed mechanism is available by removing the bottom plate. One of the first things I check to see if a camera is repairable is to check the heads of the screws. If they are buggered, then someone has been in there and chances are not too good. If the screw heads are like new, then either a pro was in there or all the original parts are still in place and might be saved with cleaning the escapement mechanism.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 02-18-2012 at 09:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have it CLAed and enjoy it for 50 more years
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin