Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,235   Online: 860

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Freezing Film When You Do Not Have the Time to Process Immediately

A quick question for our older and experienced shooters: How long can exposed film be frozen without the images suffering the risk of degradation? The reason I ask? About a week after Dwayne's ended K-14 processing, I found two rolls of KL in the bottom of my freezer. I am debating whether to leave them be and wait a bit to see if hand processing becomes feasible or whether to just go ahead and try my hand at processing the two as black and white images.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I never freeze film. I keep a quantity of colour film in the fridge, but don't bother for black & white film. However, I live in England.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The probability of a non-Kodak Kodachrome development process being introduced is rather remote.

How a long a latent image may be viable on a particular emulsion is quite variable. I recently processed some test rolls of Fuji Acros that I exposed several years ago, and the image was absolutely fine. Another fellow had horrible problems with Ilford Pan-F, with the images having faded almost completely away. As it turns out, Pan-F must be processed ASAP, and it's a known problem with the emulsion.

Very probably your film is fine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have on many many occasions accidentally and out of being broke left e6, c41, and BW film in the freezer with exposed but unprocessed images on the rolls- the longest being over a year. this one (from my wedding) fell and wasn't found for over 18 months sitting in the back of the freezer and then I processed it normally and besides some extra grain, the roll was all good.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30210017.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	940.2 KB 
ID:	46420 I am highly doubting that processing will come available for Kodachrome film again...
    Last edited by jbwpro; 02-17-2012 at 02:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "Who's Kodachrome?"
    "Kodachrome's dead baby...."
    (With apologies to Tarantino)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I store my film in the freezer, until I load it.

If I do not have enough exposed color negative film to make it worth mixing up the chemicals, I will refrigerate the exposed film until I have enough. I have done that for periods of months, not years.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been wondering the same thing, I'm pretty broke right now and most of my film is 6-8 months from exposure.

A couple rolls are over 20 years old but were freezer kept prior to exposure 4 months ago and from my past experience they should be fine.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / A2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Develop or have it done as black and white. I agree - the odds of EVER being able to process this film as color are extremely remote.

Shooter
    35mm
    I recall having read instructions from Kodak never to freeze film, but only to refrigerate it. I have never seen a professional shop that kept film in a freezer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thuggins View Post
    I recall having read instructions from Kodak never to freeze film, but only to refrigerate it. I have never seen a professional shop that kept film in a freezer.
    ..."storage in a refrigerator or freezer can be highly beneficial", but blah blah disclaimer use by the "use by" date...

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consu...fo/e30/e30.pdf
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin