Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,910   Online: 1088

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Just fixed an FE2 I had sitting around

Bought an FE2 a few years back that wouldn't advance due to some kind of mechanical issue with the advance lever, almost as if some kind of internal clutch were slipping and the film not winding on.

Well, figured out shortly afterward that the camera I had been sold had, at some point in it's life, been dropped on the right back corner - as the metal showed the typical inward/upward buckling. Said buckling had caused that corner of the top-plate to protrude upward and made the single-vs-multi lever pretty much jammed in place. After I was able to force the exposure-mode lever to single, film advancing was now working better but the advance lever still wouldn't return back to place on it's own as the washer under it had excessive pressure being placed on it from the below bulging of the top-plate corner.

A simple 7mm craftsman punch and a few whacks with a hammer later, the bulge was now lowered enough such that the washer had less pressure on it and the advance knob was rotating back on it's own without any issue. Problem effectively solved, and a body I had set aside for years is now loaded back up with film and equipped with a classic Nikkor 24mm f/2.8, ready to roll.

Nothing better than restoring life back into something that others might have given up on.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Sometimes, brute force works when finesse won't. This can apply to many situations in life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good to hear that another "Beater" Nikon is back in service.

Johnkpap

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hah, yep, I guess technically now it's a "beater." The body itself is actually in pretty clean shape except for that corner dent. Would have been a shame to just mothball it over that.

Things should be made to be fixable....
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I recently bought a non-working Olympus XA for US$3. Put new batteries in... Didnt work: then I unscrewed the case and it worked... Scwewed the case back on, gently, and it is a fine carry around.

Shooter
    35mm
    Aint nuthin a BFH can't fix.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, and may I also point that this worked out fine because said machine was made of METAL? Plastic would have just initially fractured and left a hole in the body.

It's funny, one can generally trace the downfall of quality manufacturing to when plastics were introduced heavily in the 80s and on.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin