Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,944   Posts: 1,585,798   Online: 1010

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    The only camera you will ever need, Nikon F3.
    +1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    While the XD7 (aka XD-11) is a great camera it sadly does not have MLU.
    Ah. I have never used MLU in 35mm. If you have to shoot on a tripod, you might as well go for medium/large format.

Shooter
    35mm
    Relative sizes of the cameras that have all you are asking for AE + MLU. As I previously pointed out, all these cameras have "multi expose" capability but only the F3 and LX have special controls for it. With the LX you can even go back to the precise frame you want to multi expose as the frame counter works going forward and backward. The XK's meter is the least sensitive of the group while the LX's is the most sensitive of any camera to date including modern era. Of the group, the K2 does not have a changeable viewfinder or for that matter changeable screens. The F3 and LX have a world of viewfinders and screens. Only a handful of cameras provide 100% viewfinder coverage and the F3 is one of them. The F3 uses an LCD for shutter speed and exposure info and has available light when it gets too dark. I understand that the F3 was first to get an LCD display and initially Nikon said the LCD may be good for about 6 years. It seems that was a bit too conservative. On the LX, you can only use MLU or timer only due to the single control. Of the group, the LX has most shutter speeds available if the battery fails while all the others only offer one mechanical speed + bulb. The F3 and LX offer TTL flash metering while the LX offers off the film metering all the way around. Except for the K2, all of these have titanium shutters. Of the group, the LX is the most weather sealed. There are M42 to Pentax adapters if you want to use your existing lenses. There are probably M42 adapters for the Nikon and Minolta too but not sure.

Link to larger version -> AE+MLU group

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice comparative layout there Les.

With F3s, it's been my experience not that the LCDs themselves die, but instead the backlight mechanism itself. Either the bulb dies or the little button gets finicky. Either way I barely use it because by the time one needs to even use the backlight to see the exposure, they're pretty much always 1/30,1/15,1,8 or 1/4 - which are reasonably determinable by experience.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    With F3s, it's been my experience not that the LCDs themselves die, but instead the backlight mechanism itself. Either the bulb dies or the little button gets finicky. Either way I barely use it because by the time one needs to even use the backlight to see the exposure, they're pretty much always 1/30,1/15,1,8 or 1/4 - which are reasonably determinable by experience.
    For me, it's a combination of a dead backlight system and the HP finder having a pretty low magnification (atleast to me eyes).

If these aren't a big deal I'd definitely say go F3. However, my current other favorite is the Olympus OM1n... so an OM2n

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thicktheo View Post
    Ah. I have never used MLU in 35mm. If you have to shoot on a tripod, you might as well go for medium/large format.
    I too agree with this, but the choice is yours.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I really like the OM system, and use an OM-1. But I don't much care for the internal meter. If you want to get a camera for AE, I would get something with a matrix (Nikon's term) meter. My F100 has a very nice meter, but no mirror lockup. It's also bigger than the OM-1.

In general I tend to not need mirror lockup on 35mm since I don't use it on a tripod, as other's have mentioned.

I would recommend you look at the lens line up of the camera you wish to buy. Look at size, cost, and availability of fast lenses. Then find the best body in that brand. You probably won't go wrong with any of the big names.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd also say that mirror lockup, if used frequently (tripod ect.), is a medium format thing.

However, some 35mm SLR cameras don't really need MLU (the mirror and shutter being well-dampened to start wirh), unless you are are using extremely long lenses (also a contadiction in terms - EXL and MLU are rarely a practical combination).

Anyway, the Rolleflex SL3003 also does multiple exposures brilliantly (no MLU), just to avoid the Nikon F3 popularity contest from being unchallenged...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    The mirror on Nikon FE/FE2 cameras is automatically locked up whenever the self-timer is used so, in effect, this feature is available with those cameras. Same with the FM/FM2.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's also automatically locked up when the battery dies. ;-).

(m250 mode descrews this btw)
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin