Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,677   Online: 792

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excuse my ignorance - what/why this viewfinder on nikon F? I never seen someone has separate viewfinder on SLR (except with mirror lock up and fish eye) ... what are the benefits (except looking very cool ) ?

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    Excuse my ignorance - what/why this viewfinder on nikon F? I never seen someone has separate viewfinder on SLR (except with mirror lock up and fish eye) ... what are the benefits (except looking very cool ) ?
    It is the viewfinder for the Nikon 2.1cm f4 wide angle, which is used with the mirror locked up, it was the symmetrical predecessor to the 20mm UD Nikkor - I like it a lot, it is very small and light weight - I used it for forest protest doco rather than risk violence to my UD Nikkor - Then I discovered what they are worth to collectors, but like all good equipment it is for use

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.1cmNikkor.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	46733

The Nikon label colouring is with my first home made batch of sanguine etching ink, which I think is better than Charbonnel, but of course it is not - I found the white on black too strong and toned it down a bit with the etching ink

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks jbaphoto

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I also use an "F"...built like a tank and fits the hand beautifully, qualities that seem to have been forgotten with modern camera manufacture. Use mainly with 20mm, 35mm & 85mm lenses. The 20mm 3.5 AI is wonderfully compact and sharp no need for separate viewfinder. The 35 & 85mm are both older models made for the "F", and very sharp.

Since I gave up news photography, I've ditched all the plasticky digital stuff. Returning to my old Nikon and Nikkormat FT3 has been a revelation. I'm actually enjoying taking pictures again!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bought a near mint, one-owner black '71 F Photomic FTn a few years back--and truthfully have put about 2 rolls through it in five years. I admire it as a piece of industrial design but find newer MF and AF Nikon bodies more flexible. It's basically Nikon's '50s rangefinder design with a mirror and prism. Sizing up selling most of my Nikon bodies this spring and the F will likely go, too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've just resurrected my two Nikkormat FTn's from the late 1960's. Built like bricks, never CLA'd and everything works fine. I bought a couple of battery adaptors and can now use the commonly available SR44 batteries that also power the meters in my M6 and Bessa R4A.
    Leica M6,
    Bessa R4A,
    Rolleiflex(s) 2.8/80, 4/135, 4/55.
    Nikkormat FTn
    Fuji X10

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ode to an F:
    Mon amour

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6082182885_afaab6171b_z.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	46753
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've serviced an F last year and shot a test roll through it, incredible camera.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bugger, after all that I want one.....!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sounds odd the M2 has had to have 2 repairs. Possibly it needs to go to a better experienced Leica repair tech. I've seen where a tech will simply attack the complaint and miss the cause of the problem and then needing a rework.

Early slrs are sometimes a work of ingenious engineering and are extremely rugged, the F being 1 of them. I recently picked up a Ashahi S1a that predates the Spotmatic. I had a Spotmatic when they were in production and loved it but it finally was sold off. The S1a is a hammer and reminds me of how good these ealry slrs can be. I can not imagine any dslr working some 50 years later.

I loved the F as it got right what so many early slrs did not quite get right, the ability to have several viewfinders including waistlevel and several prism finders. Add to the mix some very good lenses and it is no wonder the Nikon name became #1 in the market.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin