Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,256   Online: 996

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries

Back to the basic F

There are fires south of us, so when I went with my daughter to pick up more stuff from her place 8Km from the fire containment line I took a 35mm camera and 35 & 21mm lenses, my usual kit

The Leica is away for yet again for yet another repair, which is sad as I love the 35mm late Summicron

So, back to the ancient and battered kit I have always known I can rely on, Nikon Fs with 35 and 21mm lenses, the kit I used for the Karri Forest Protest portfolio in the mid to late 1990s, and sitting in my safe unloved since then - This kit was what I used for my artists portrait doco in the 1980s and early 1990s in Perth, except for the portraits with a Rollie

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jbaphoto120222d1485.JPG 
Views:	232 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	46704

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jbaphoto890618C10.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	46707

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow! Amazing! So how is the Summicron 35 compared to the Nikon 35?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stavrosk View Post
    The Summicron is an almost symmetrical design, so has a different "drawing" to the 35mm Nikkor - I prefer the, Summicron, but my Leica M2 is totally shagged - Before it was given to me it was used for London newspaper work and Observer Magazine and Paris Match photography all over the world in some nasty situations - Perhaps I am asking too much of it and it should be put out to grass

I have never found a 35mm Nikkor that is really sharp, but it must be born in mind my Nikon lens set is from the 1960s with a couple from the 1970s, so they are now getting toward middle age - However, while 35mm Nikkors only provide negs that are only just good enough to make 20x16 inch prints they have always delivered useable negs to that size

John

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That's an awfully purdy camera you got there. I like it's fundamental appearance.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nothing in the world like the Nikon F, except for my Nikkormat FTN.

A couple of other lenses you may want to use are the 28 3.5, excellent saturation, and the 105 f2.5. Those are mainstays in my FTN kit, alongside my 50 1.4 Nikkor-S

I've got a scratch-and-dent 35 f2.8 Nikkor that's been AI'd and it regularly produces images as sharp as my Canon L-series lenses, so maybe I have a really good copy.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit, under the knife for a bit
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 / Ektar 127
    RB67 Pro S / 50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    35mm
    That's one Sexy Nikon!!

What's your Leica may I ask?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    That's one Sexy Nikon!!

What's your Leica may I ask?
    The Leica is an antiquated M2, given to me by a former photojournalist who now lives on coffee, red wine, his reputation and a very augmented memory

As well as 3 Nikon Fs I have a couple of black Nikkormats and one remaining black F2 and almost all the lenses from the first 20mm to 200mm except 24, 28 and 135mm, all from my commercial photo days

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stavrosk View Post
    Which Nikkor 35 and which Summicron 35 (there were 4 pre-Asph versions)?

My Summicron 35 (type IV) at f/2.0 is similar to the Nikkor 35 2.0 AIS closed down to between f/2.8 and f/4.0:about a 1.5 stop advantage. It also vignettes less and is far less susceptible to flare.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    Which Nikkor 35 and which Summicron 35 (there were 4 pre-Asph versions)?

My Summicron 35 (type IV) at f/2.0 is similar to the Nikkor 35 2.0 AIS closed down to between f/2.8 and f/4.0:about a 1.5 stop advantage. It also vignettes less and is far less susceptible to flare.
    My 35mm Summicron is the forth of the pre-asphecical versions - I shall be giving the Leica M2 back to my friend for his dead camera shelf, but am thinking about keeping the Summicron in case I have a print sale when we don't have to do repairs to the house or car - (Houses and cars are good at knowing when real money is coming in)

My Nikkor 35mms are late 1960s f2 and f2.8 and a mid 1970s PC Nikkor - The PC is the sharpest, but was used with my F2s kit with a 20mm Nikkor and the 55 and 105mm Micro Nikkors for art gallery and exhibition documentation slides

I still have the Nikon gear - It is now worthless in terms of cash and there is no point trying to sell it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've never seen an F with orange lettering... Interesting.

Yet another dent in the Leica supremacy complex many seem to have :P
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin